Gagging baby

My daughter is going to be 1 year old this month and she still can't seem to really eat solids. I mash everything and puree, but she still gags like she is about to barf like when i give her pasta or cream of wheat. She should be able to eat those right? Ugh it's so frustrating. Ever since she was born there is one eating problem after another. Everything I give her tastes good and is made small enough for her to eat, but she just won't. Any suggestions?? Have any of you had a baby that gags on everything?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you feeding her or is she helping herself? Have you talked to her pediatrician?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• oh and how long have you been giving her solids for? Some babies are ready earlier than others. Mine didnt' start solids until they were around 11-12 months old, but I did not do pureed foods, and they were ok with soft finger foods as well.... but every child is different. Eating solids is a learning process.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I still have to feed her cause she does not put anything in her mouth. Never has. I have went to her doc, speech therapist, nutritionist and I keep doing what they tell me, but the gagging part is whats getting me. There are so many foods that I can make her, but I know she will just gag on them and then spit them out.
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started at about 6-7 months giving her solids, well pureed fruits and stuff like that
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sounds like sensory issues. Some kids have problems manipulating their jaws and tongue while eating.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my dd wouldn't eat certain things because she didn't like the texture, pudding, jello, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, yogurt, things like that. will she chew things? if she does Gerber has these mini veggie and meat raviolis and my daughter loved them at her age! they aren't in a sauce, just the ravioli stuffed with mashed veggies. they are a finger food.she may just prefer something a little more solid.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sometimes it's the texture that causes them to do the gag thing. Like what is this in my mouth? Others have to figure out the chew swallow. Have you tried things like the gerber stars that melt in the mouth that babies can gum to chew? Maybe something like that will get her started. I have a friend who's daughter would do the gag if she didn't like something, but if you keep trying to introduce things to her she'll get the idea. Offering finger foods whenever you can will encourage her to eat, like when she's not over hungry but you know she is hungry. Other things to do is watch how much liquids you give because then they don't learn that solids help fill them up too. Hope this helps.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If she was younger I would say check out whether she has a deviated septum (hols in the roof of her mouth to where milk comes into the nose making her choke)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would suggest going to a GI Dr. She may have some kind of stenosis of the esophagus, or any other numerous issues. But, I would just insist that your Pediatrician refer you to a GI. My youngest has all kinds of eating issues, she has severe hypotonia so she had trouble controlling her tongue and gag reflex for the longest time. She still does on occasion due to those things and several other issues.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i was going to say the same thing as the two ladies who mentioned sensitivity to texture
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010