My 23 month old son wont eat good for the past two days.. seems sensitive to cold.

When Im at work and he is home with daddy he eats fine and then i am home he is really cranky and wont eat and hasent been sleeping very well either. Dont know what to do. Someone please help me. Should i take him to urgent care or what?

Momof2AZ26

Asked by Momof2AZ26 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, I wouldnt take him to urgent care. Toddlers have days or even weeks when they dont eat so much. It's totally normal. It could be that he's teething. Try Hyland's teething tablets and try to roll with it. (BTW, those 2 year molars take FOREVER)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My DS wouldn't eat right before a growth spurt, but because you say he's not sleeping, it makes me think teeth. If tylenol relieves his discomfort, you'll know that's what it is.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand - is he home part of the day with dad and part of the day with you? If he's eating and sleeping/napping fine when dad's around, but not with you, that sounds fine. Kids often behave different when mom's around. I know my son will sometimes be sweet and cooperative with his dad or babysitter, but when I'm around he gets all whiny and clingy. I think those are just the days that something is bothering him so he cries about it to the person who he knows will help him feel better (me). I hear this is very normal - kids need someone who they can let it all out to, and it's actually a compliment that he can turn to you!

And if he's just not eating or sleeping much at all... call your doctor. They can probably help you figure out if this is a medical issue or just some passing phase. Sorry, I'm not sure how to help with this since I don't know the whole situation (and I'm not the best medical expert).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• And you mentioned sensitivity to cold... does he have a temperature? If he does, you should definitely call the doctor for advice.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2010