Should children be given sex education in schools or have it left up to the parents

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• when i was growing up...it was both...my parents talked to me and so did the health teacher..even had it in college...go fig...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• they should be educated at school and by the parents. it's not a either/or imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Parents
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think parents should do it, however, parents won't..so, the school should offer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it should be both. Because we all know that some parents aren't going to do it and for those that do, they can reiterate what their values are and what they expect from their kids.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it needs to be taught in both schools and at home. Let the teachers teach the kids the facts and technical side, and the parents need to talk about the moral side and anything like that. My dd is only 2 but when she is older I will teach her about safe sex, on top of any education she gets at school. But unfortunately, I know a lot of parents who will not talk to their kids about sex. So schools also need to teach them, so they dont end up with stds or an unplanned pregnancy
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Both
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• well i remember the bull crap that my high school health teacher told us... he was a real creep who got fired a few years later for sexually harassing students btw... I think I'd rather my kids hear the truth from me and my husband
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Personally, I had both and it really worked out well for me. I got more of science (biology) of how it all worked in school and got the emotional and morally aspect from my parents. Between the two I made the decieision to wait (Choice motivated by self respect and helathy fear of sexually transmitted dieases).
    As a result I have no problem is the school provides sex education to my child. I see it as a reinforcement of what I will be teaching him at home.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think both......I also feel that it should start as early as possible (age appropriate of course). When my daughter was 3 she was in bed trying to take a nap when all of a sudden she started yelling "Mommy, mommy.....there's a hole in me!" I went into her bedroom to see what she was talking about and sure enough it was her vagina. I got asked why it was there and I told her that's how babies come out of their mommy's bodies. She asked a few more questions and I answered them with what she would understand. About a month later her 9 year old cousin told her that babies come out threw their mommy's belly buttons.....my daughter informed her that she was wrong...lol! My SIL had no problem with my daughter saying that but my daughter and I had to have a talk about appropriate talk for children! Anyway, if parents and schools would inform kids then we wouldn't have questions like.....Can I get pregnant if we kiss???
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010