DH has been asked to be a groomsman in a friends wedding. Anyone else think 175.00 + tax is a bit much for a tux rental?

Am I just behind the times, or is this pretty standard? How in the world are we going to afford the rental AND a gift!

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Shopping

• I am in AL and a tux with tails (including shoes, cumberbun, and cufflinks) was only $85 for the Mardi Gras Ball we went to last year! Thats a LOT to expect someone to pay!!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Whoa! thats steep!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That's pretty standard, I'd say. I live in CT and my son rented a tux for his prom about 8 weeks ago and it was a little over $200 for his tux.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That does seem high, but so much depends on the style/designer/etc. I thought rentals were more like $100 - but DH owns his tux, it's been years since we rented one.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Having JUST rented a tux for my youngest son for our "oldest" son's wedding on Saturday - that's standard. We paid just a bit over that for his. We had to rent one tux, 2 vest/tie combinations for the Groom and Best man - our twin sons. And buy one bridesmaid dress.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That's standard. Imagine what the cost is to buy one!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• that seems a bit high...
    the tux rentals for our wedding were 99$, and those were a little more on the "more expensive" spectrum...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Thats expensive!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure lol. I have never met anyone who had to rent a tux.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 8:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Thanks for the comments ladies. I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one who's paid that much. At first, I thought it was somewhat rediculous. Its in the couple's parents' yard, not a church after all, ya know? Not to mention, me and DD had to decline the invitation b/c plane tix were 310.00! So, 310 for plane tix, 175+ for tux, how much for gift? This is gonna end up costing an arm and a leg!
    kenzie07

Comment by kenzie07 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010