help with kid's cleaning room's adult content

help my kid's are takeing avantage of me i say clean you'r room and they act like they did then come back down and lie and say it is clean 20 min latta when it easen't they are 6 and 7 and i don't know what else to do

LOVEINGMYHUBBY

Asked by LOVEINGMYHUBBY at 8:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well i don't take kindly to lies. i would tell them to clean their rooms and then tell them i'm going to inspect it afterwards. if they don't do a good job then they will get _ punishment. idk what kind of punishment you use..... take away privelages, time out, whatever. and then if they still do it half-ass and lie about it i will tell them they're on punishment and they still have to finish cleaning up their room. you have to follow through with the punishment though or that won't work
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• tell them to clean there room and they are not to come out until it is or they will be put in time out no tv video games or friends over...or you can threatin to spank them maybe then they will listen....my son is 4yrs and i tell him to clean his room he thorws a fit and does it cuz i tell him no games and if you dont get in there now im going to spank you.....works every time :)
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 8:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well if they say it's clean go and inspect it. If it's not done to your standards then tell them to clean it and give them consequence for lying to you. Clearly you can't trust them to be honest about the task.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Seriously, here is what I would do-
    Go into their rooms while they are watching tv or outside playing. Get rid of all clutter they don't need in there. Get it 100% wonderfully organized and easy to put together, then make a chart (print one off line- look up chore charts) and tell them exactly what they need to do. My kids need to make their beds but they don;t have to be perfect- they just have to look put together. It's hard for them, but they're learning...

The need to have clothes off the floor, and into the drawer or hamper :) toys put up if they're not playing with them.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When they have said it's clean, head to their room immediately to check. If they have lied, throw everything laying around into trash bags and put them up high until they can learn to clean up their messes and not lie about it. You may end up having to do this a few times, but eventually they won't have anything left to play with and will change their ways. lol Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• inspections...though what worked for minw wa me sitting in there with them and directing them waht to pick up and what to do next...I think they jsut got ovewhelmed and didn't know where to start and what to do you know? YES it will take time and it will suck having to go with them-but for us it went a lot smoother when I did that and I would help them as long as they were working on it too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would pull up a chair and sit in their rooms, while supervising their efforts. This is the only way they're going to take you seriously and understand what you consider clean to look like. Consistency, patience and tolerance are the keys. You are the best person to consider what punishment is appropriate for the crime.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I assign it to him in small chunks - pick up all the red things, pick up all the cars, pick up any books, etc. I used to sit in there with him when he was little and watch him, and as he's gotten older he's better about it without supervision. He's not allowed out until it's done (meaning he yells down the hall, I go check) When he gets stubborn about it, I go in with a broom and a garbage bag, and I mean it. He's lost a few legos and cars that way before he could stop me, and that was enough for him to know I mean it. It can take all day if he's in a mood, but it gets done. Just be consistent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Have you kids stay with someone for a few hours and get rid of all toys, clothes and etc.. your kids no longer use. That should reduce the clutter. If your kids are like mine, they have too many toys and no place to put them all.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 8:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• At that age, you can not just tell them "Clean your room" You MUST give the specific tasks and then follow through with an inspection after each task is assigned and then they say it is complete. For example, tell them to get all their clothes in the hamper and when they come back saying its done - go check. Then tell them to get all the stuff off the floor in the back right hand corner, and then check it. ETC.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010