Do you give your kids pop/candy etc?I DO..

I see more and more posts like this.Honestly I give my kids pop/candy moderately but I do to say I dont would make me a hippocrit.Come on seriously ladies honestly do you all feel the same way or are you just that urgg..sorry it bugs me when I see other moms judge other moms for giving their kids stuff like this.Respect those who do as we who do will respect those who dont give stuff like this.Heck my 7month old has tasted everything possible.Am I a bad mom.NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing wrong with tasting.

nutymom06

Asked by nutymom06 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes, I don't over do and they drink juice for dinner, but I have never deprived my kids of anything. I allow them to at least try the normal things. Like if we are in the car and I stop at a store, if they were good and ask for a piece of candy, I buy some. If they were bad, I don't. My children love veggies and milk and even drink water, so I don't see the point in not letting them have some sweet. None of my children are hyper and are all well behaved, so it's all in moderation and how they are raised.....Let them be kids!!!
    Anonymous

• Your not a bad mom this is kinda a to each his own kinda deal....I never EVER have pop or candy in my home because im anal about good teeth!!! But if we go to a resturaunt they can have a 7up and if they go somewhere where there is candy they are allowed a little something!! they are your kids you can choose what they can and cannot have!! dont let the moms on "Cafe mom" make you feel like a bad mom.... none of us are perfect...
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I have let my daughter taste a bunch of different thigs too! Only recently though, when she started eating solids. And it is just a tiny bit, enough to cover my finger tip, and I let her taste. So far she has had yogurt, chocolate frosting (yum!) ice cream, mashed potatoes, pasta sauce, and some others that I am sure I can't remember off the top of my head.
    I don't think it makes me a bad mom, I am not feeding these things to her all of the time (her belly obviously is too small to handle it) but I think that a little taste here and there doesn't hurt anything!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I feel the same way. I give my kids some candy, and soda. I do it in moderation though too! Alot of things kids eat or drink are going to have some type of sugar in them so its not like you can take it away from them all together. People that think kids shouldnt have stuff like this is crazy, Did your parents let you try it? Pretty sure they did and theres nothing wrong with you! I agree so much with you that mothers like this are just trying to be prissy and what not and think that they are better bc their kids are eating healthy..just think when yor kids go to a friends house or something and they arent allowed to have a piece of candy...CRAZY!!
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 12:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My husbands side of the family is obese. So I'm really worried about my 2 toddlers. I never gave my 2 and 1 yrs old any type of sweets,pop, etc until their first b day. On their first b day I made each of the a cupcake and that's all they were allowed. Now they are a little older and they can have a little something here and there. But I mostly worry because I am worried about the obesity in my husbands family. But no you are not a bad mother for giving you kids sweets. : ) so don't feel bad and all these other mothers on CM who say they dont give their kids sweets when they really do, are only fooling themselves ; )
    Anonymous

• My 8 month old loves ice cream!!! She doesn't have alot because I'm afraid her tummy will hurt. I only give her a couple of little bites but she loves it.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would strictly control the refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, and refined white flour. Even the high fructose corn syrup is not good. We train our kids' tastes--and the SAD--Standard American Diet obviously is making us fat. A search about diabetes should be enough to restrict refined sugar intake!    As a treat once and a while it is ok--but most kids get this stuff on daily basis.  Sugar coated cereal, mac & cheese, hot dogs, white bread, and such.  Whether you agree or not--it is not the best:-)  I don't really care what others feed their kids--but I do care what I feed mine.  Do I freak out if they get candy from other places--no--but I rarely buy it. Many moms use such goodies to train their kids--not a good habit to establish:-)  Greensmoothiegirl.com is an excellent site to learn more:-)  I am not connected in any way to it except as a learning mom:-)

Anonymous

• I don't understand what the big deal is. Everything in moderation... a little sugar won't hurt them. I grew up on kool-aid and ice cream and popsicles, etc. I got to eat all my candy on Halloween. I'm still here, still healthy, still active, still skinny. I realize it's not GOOD for them but it's fun. :) I like them to have fun stuff, not always the boring stuff. They're active kids. They don't sit on their butts all the time being couch spuds. So if they eat healthy otherwise I'm willing to reward them with some pop and other junk food sometimes.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• YAH know what I say is as long as your brushing teeth regular then it's fine. I will tell you my daughter has to have candy every time we go to the store, but she gets something every time mainly pops. we call them pops at our house so I wouldn't let anyone critisize your parenting.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My kids eat candy and drink soda but I also balance it out by making sure they eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. My kids are not picky eaters unlike me, the junk foodaholic.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008