How much do you let your toddler watch TV

Do you limit the shows? Or limit the time? What about movies with the family?

KellyN08

Asked by KellyN08 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ages 1-2 I try to do zero time, but sometimes would do 30 minutes (per day).
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• she watches about 2 hours a day total. we just leave it on sprout, she's 20 months.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 8:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I didn't limit a thing except he wasn't allowed to watch porn. LOL He watched as much or as little as he wanted. It hasn't impaired him at all and actually helped vocabulary wise. I used everything he watched as a teaching tool and opportunity. still do and he is 14.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my son is 20 months and he watches probably 2 hours a day, split up. i also have a 2 month old, so in order to keep him from destroying things while i feed her he usually watches a tv show for a bit, then the tvs off. i used to have him watch it at a certain time, but it wont keep his attention long. so i just let him watch it when i NEED to be able to do something.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• She is almost 4.
    - She gets 1 (or 2 if lucky) shows in the morning.(so 30min-1hr). Usually PBS "Super Why" or "Sid the Science Kid"
    - She gets 1 show after her nap (30min) (a lil tv waking up is our routine i guess) usually, but not all the time...
    - Whatever is on our tv she sees... so she may occasionally see some nudity, or violence.. But no late-night HBO scenes or Blood Baths... She is more limited than I was growing up, but not drastically..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• the tv is on sprout or nick jr all day shes 20 months, she really doesn't watch it though she does her own thing most of the time though
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• DS is 12 months, and on weekdays the TV is off all day. He's usually really good about entertaining himself, so I don't need the electronic babysitter. On the weekends we sometimes leave the TV on when he's awake in the morning (we usually do something together in the evenings). The programing is mostly boring adult stuff like animal planet, HGTV, sports, etc. He notices the TV, but mostly doesn't pay it much attention. And if he's going to be playing on the living room floor, we'll turn the TV off... unless something really interesting is on. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• god id get bored..when im home inside during this horrid heat index, and pregnant, my dd is playing with herself .. im def watching a movie in the day time, id go nuts in silence lol
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:06 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i agree with oppsididitagain. i can't stand the silence, so the tv is always on but on low volume. the only time my 1 yr old notices it is when music comes on. every once in a while i'll put the OnDemand channel on some nursery rhymes. He likes to dance to the music
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 8:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Sid the Science Kid in the AM and after lunch I put in a Nick Jr. dvd for her. She is 13 months.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 9:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010