How do I keep my baby's diaper from leaking pee?

We cannot figure out why this is happening with our 5-month-old daughter all of a sudden. Often when she wakes up at night, her sleeper and blanket are wet around the small of her back. It is definitely urine and not sweat, so she isn't getting too hot. The diaper is not too small or too big; we are putting it on correctly. She is only in it for 4-5 hours, so she isn't in it for too long. The diaper should be absorbent enough. The only thing I can think of is that she is very very active and moves around a lot in her sleep, but even then it doesn't seem like this should happen.

Viridescence

Asked by Viridescence at 8:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used cloth diapers just made them thicker.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• try overnight diapers, that might work for her
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Buy Luvs. All other diapers leaked on me except Luvs. They are cheaper too...bonus!
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Have you tried other brands? I found Huggies worked best for my children.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would change my DS before I went to bed.... his diaper was usually full by then. That is what solved the problem for me

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• This has happened with Pampers, Huggies and store-brand diapers. We have not tried Luvs but I have not seen them in a size 2.
    Viridescence

Comment by Viridescence (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I was going to suggest overnights too. Do you give her a bottle or drink right before bed? If so, I would try to wait until she pees after that drink, before putting her down to bed.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 8:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Is the diaper saturated? If so then you have a heavy wetter on your hands. This you can address by either double diapering or looking into cloth diapers that you could place over a diposable diaper. You would have to wash it but you currently have to wash her PJs and sheets now so really its an improvement.

If the diaper is not saturated odds are the diaper is not a good fit for your LO. Different brands fit differently. Perhaps try a few brands and see if this resolves the problem.

GL
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My two cents - you can't really trust the labeling on diaper sizes based on their suggested weight.

Different babies have different builds with different weights. Sometimes you really do need a different size even though it seems way off from the suggested weight.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• id say maybe go up a size in diapers
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010