After their scary incident with their latest child, do you think it would be wise of the Duggars to not have anymore children?

It seems to me that maybe this was a warning that Michelle's body can no longer safely carry anymore children, and they should be happy with the 19 children they have and retire from the baby-making business. What do you think?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it would've been wise for her to listen to the multiple doctors that started refusing to treat her years ago (long before number 19). Suicide by pregnancy isn't pretty. I only hope she stops without someone having to die first (either her or a stillborn).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I went into premature labor with my FIRST child. I had more. Just because you had one problem pregnancy, it does not always mean subsequent pregnancies will have the same issue. We are not privy to her medical records and are unable to determine why this occurred. I think that this issue is between Michelle and her doctor. They are financially stable independent of the show, they do not rely on the show to foot their bills. There children are not brats and neither spouse degrades the other on TV. If they choose to have more children, it's up to them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you are referring to the last one being born so premature, I wouldn't think that would be a reason to stop. Woman have preemies all the time - even when it is their first.

I don't watch the show so if you are talking about something else, sorry!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• As far as wise probably not but the Duggars believe in being quiver-full, I think that they believe if god didn't want them to have more children he wouldn't bless them with more.
    Topgunmommy

Answer by Topgunmommy at 9:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Part of me thinks they should be happy with what they have, but the other part of me understands their view on being blessed w/ children. Really its up to them, so I just wish them luck!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've HEARD that it had nothing to do with the amount of children she was having. If that is true, I don't think having a preemie is a good reason to stop. But maybe having 19 kids is.

Ha. I don't really know if they have 19 or not.

Just my opinion though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think if she didn't have to have the gall bladder surgery, she probably would have carried the baby to term. I don't believe that people should stop having babies just because one was born premature. I had two premature babies, and my third was over due. I don't think anyone should make the decision that they have enough kids except them.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i think 19 kids is just crazy to start with.. isn't our world over populated enough!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It just seems to be that the human body was not meant to have SOOO many children 1 after the other, before your body has even recovered fully from the last pregnancy. It is up to them, I understand that...I wasn't saying its not. But from what I heard, she had preeclampsia pretty early into her pregnancy, and as far as I understand, it is more common to continue to have it in subsequent pregnancies after you get it once.
    Ash9724

Comment by Ash9724 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, what happened during this pregnancy will not necessarily happen again plus what happpend to Michelle can happen to any woman whether its her 1st or her 19th. However from a purely medical perspective given Michelle age and number of pregancies her odeds are higher for complications. Like another poster said the Duggars are fincially capable of caring including extended medical care. But its her and her families risk to take and not my place to judge.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 9:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010