How do you deal with tantrums in public?

How do you calmly deal with tantrums while you are out without causing a huge scene...any adivice?

momma_twins7317

Asked by momma_twins7317 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I give a redirection and warn that if the behavior continues, we will leave and DD will go straight home to bed. It actually only took ONE time for DD to learn that lesson    :-)   Consistency is key.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think that is how you deal with it- just stay calm. If you get flustered, that just adds fuel to the fire.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think that if you handle them well at home, there won't be any in public. I don't remember any of my children having one in public and they went everywhere with me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with pp. You must make sure they understand that their are consequences and you will not tolerate that behavior. Consistency is key. I would suggest that when you say something you follow thru every time even if it's small. Don't give them attention when thy are behaving badly. As in if he or she decides to throw themselves on the floor because you took away a toy just don't pay attention. Or you can send them to their room for time out if they are old enough. But if your out just give them a warning and if nothing changes then remove them from the environment immediatley. The more practice you hav at home and in simple situations the easier it will be when your out at a more hectic situation. Remember two things, they can't control heir emotions very well and sometimes don't know how to communicate them and second they are trying to learn the boundaries so they will push. GL
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 9:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010