As a working mom, what can I do to volunteer at my son's school?

Last year I only worked part-time and was able to volunteer quite a bit at his school. This year I will be working full time from 6 am- 3 pm- during school hours. I know that they have a few fund raisers that I will be able to participate in, but what other ways can I help volunteer to help my son's school and teacher out?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in

• My mom worked and volunteered when she could. On field trips she would request to take the day off so she could attend, whenever she had hour lunch breaks she would come help out every once in a while.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I work odd hours and so I would volunteer to send things in when they had a party or event. If I knew in advance the date of a trip, I would take the day and offer to chaperon. You do what you can and the teachers appreciate it, :)
    suzyq58

Answer by suzyq58 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I bake when needed, phone trees, making flyers on my computer if needed, an the occasional field trip
    ckap4707

Answer by ckap4707 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I always leave emails for the teacher to let me know if they needed any thing for the class. Usually I would send in snacks or supplies when they needed it. I am a stay at home mom, but couldn't volunteer because I had kids at home and school didn't want younger siblings at school.

mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can probably still help with any of the evening events like open house, talent show, etc . . . There really isn't a lot for the working mom to do to help at school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There is still a lot you can do. You can help the teacher by cutting out things for art projects, taking care of the book club orders, you can call other parents for parties and other activities. You can help with family nights, open house, talent show, book fair, science fair. Just ask!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You can contact your child's teacher. She might have things such as laminated items that she could send home and you could cut it out for her when you have time. You can also donate items for class parties if you can't attend them.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Those are great ideas. I volunteered at the book fair at night. It was fun and didn't take up much time.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 4:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010