baby shower dilema...opinions needed

i have a 14 yr old and a 10 yr old. after 10 years my husband and i found out were having baby # 3. ( total shock). i had a traditional shower for my 1st son, and none for my second. family and friends keep inquiring about a shower and seem to think i should have one, but i just dont feel right sinse i had one with my 1st child. i know some woman have them with each child and i thinks its fine, but for myself i just dont feel right. i was thinking about maybe a meet the baby shower a week or so after the baby is born. most of my extended family like aunts and cousins i only see once in awhile when i run into them at a store or somthing, so this would be a great way for them to see the baby. please give me your honest opinion on this, or if you have any other idea's please let me know. thank you

mustanggrl74

Asked by mustanggrl74 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think it's a good idea to do the shower after the baby is born too but I would wait a few weeks after to give the baby time to build up an immune system so he doesn't get sick right away with all the people being there
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think the "Meet the baby" Shower is a terrific idea. You do what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree! You should have the shower after so everyone can meet the baby. You should definitly have a shower since it's been so long since you have had one. You probably could use alot of the stuff that you might have gotten rid of.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i agree w/ pp's. and the stuff they have out there now has changed alot since ur last baby. People are asking about a shower b/c they WANT you to have one - believe me anyone who dreads the 'baby shower' will not ask excitedly if ur having one. They r just excited about the new arrival. IMO - let them pamper you and your new LO.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Sounds like a great idea. If you do not feel comfortable accepting gifts than make sure you include that it's optional. Just call it a welcome home/to the world party!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Im also pregnant and my family and friends seem to be more excited to have a baby shower than I am. So I decided I will have one. Maybe someone(s) can help you with the preperations I will be asking family and friends myself!!! Thanks for giving me the idea to have the babyshower afterbirth, IM due in January right after Xmas so I want to give people a little break before having to buy another gift!!!! congratulations!!
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 1:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think it would be great for you to have a shower. Your deserve it! I think that you may have gotten rid of most all the BABY items so new ones from all your loved ones, family and friends, items like that are always a plus. Be sure to do a baby list at the appropiate stores and then you get what you want. BUt if you are set on afterwards, don;t buy much but the essentials and let the family shower you and the new addition with things your still actually need.
    :)
    Burbott

Answer by Burbott at 2:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i don't see why not...your last baby is 10 i'm sure for all the expenses will bring back memories. it'll be fun!! if friends wanna do it why not?
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It's been 10 years. I am assuming that you need stuff all over again. I don't see anything wrong with having another shower. IT"S BEEN TEN YEARS!!!!!! Have one, I'm having one with baby #2-not as big but I'm still doing it!
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think a baby shower would be great. Many family members who were too young to participate in your first shower would be able to come. Also, if you have any new friends they could share in the excitement, too. It been FOURTEEN YEARS since you've had a shower!!! also, there are so many new baby items on the market that you probably don't know about... friends/family members with young babies will be able to introduce them to you:)
    But if you don't want to have one... don't. Or have a small baby shower and the welcoming shower. Do whatever feels best for you- but i couldn't imagine anyone looking at you cross-eyed for having a shower now.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2008