I am looking for alternative ways to help my son who has ADHD?

suzyq58

Asked by suzyq58 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Health

• have u looked into the Feingold diet? google it
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Some people say the Gluten Free diet works for them.
    Also, we eat mostly organic here (which has really helped my sons behavior) and have him involved in activities which require a lot of physical sensory (like swimming).
    Gymnastics and martial arts has been shown to help kids who have ADHD as well.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are the diets that the first two posters have said. There is also people who say that certain fish oil supplements help. Cut out all processed foods and refined sugars too. We tried all of these with my SS who is ADHD but bc his mother would not do it on her time it did not help him. All of the food/supplements is an all or nothing thing. Good Luck
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Food sensitivities can cause ADHD Symptoms. ADHD is way over diagnosed without ruling out other causes. See an allergist for a Food Panel Rast test for IgG & IgE antibodies.

Eliminate ALL artificial colors & flavors, HFCS, excess sugars (including fruit juice),
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with motherofhope98 in that ADHD is grossly overdiagnosed; it's become a catch-all.

There are numerous conditions whose symptoms manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors. You need to rule out as many as possible to find out what's impacting your child. I have been able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis and treat my daughter's (non-ADHD issues) using a biomedical approach. I can send you the link to a post I made of the 50 or so things we investigated/ruled out for my son over the years; maybe something there will help.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Diet, agreed. Interestingly enough, ADD/ADHD children also suffer from allergies. Seek medical testing for that.

For school, you should be able to seek additional resources (resource aide, tutoring) with the ADHD diagnosis.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010