Have You Ever.... adult content

Have you ever had an OB/Midwife do cord traction to "assist" in the expelling of your placenta? Did you know this was a risk of that?

http://myobsaidwhat.com/2010/08/02/your-placenta-looks-weird/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, this is the first I've ever heard of somthing like that. Why would they do that when the body usually does it naturally? ew.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• oh i looked it up, yes they did do this with me, they didn't just rip the placenta out but there was a gentle pull because my LO already had to be delivered via help of vacuum/suction, I was dead tired and couldn't push barely at all so when it was starting to come out she helped lead it out because it being in there was an agonizing pain for me.

3% of these procedures will have the cord ruptured, if executed incorrectly, say by someone who is just pulling at it it can cause more damage
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• is this where they pull the cord to help the placenta come out?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• hmmm..never heard of that
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my doc did this to me. I pushed the placenta out but he assisted by lightly hold ing on and tugging on the cord...i think it helped, the thing just plopped out lol.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 5:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010