can someone help with this...

I just found out I am pregnant (about 4 weeks) and I stopped smoking (today is my first smoke free day) but the cravings are just so strong it's all I am thinking about. I am even more cranky and taking it out on my family. Anyone else there with me trying not to smoke but want to so bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was in the same boat you were. I stopped smoking when I found out I was pregnant. IT IS HARD!!! IT DOES GET EASIER!!!! Just stick with it. The first 3 weeks are really rough. Its all you think about. The cravings themselves only last 3-5 mins so if you can keep your mind off smoking during the cravings, it will pass. You will have a ton of cravings in the beginning and you will need to keep your mind on other things a lot right now.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I am going to catch a lot of shit for saying this I know, but if you were a heavy smoker it may harm your baby to just stop cold turkey. I would maybe cut it down to one cigarette over the whole day, just to take the edge off, for maybe the next week or two, and then try the completely smoke free. If that is not something you are interested in doing, then I would ask your doctor if there is anything he can give you that wont harm the baby but will help with the withdraws. I know it is hard, I smoked for 8 years before I quit when I got pregnant. I used the method I described because i was smoking a little over a pack a day, and quitting cold turkey just wasn't going to do it for me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• You probably should not quit flat out your doctor will tell you to slowly quit, just be carefull and cut back a little at a time give yourself a week to quit and take it down a couple a day!
    you'll make it
    jparker289

Answer by jparker289 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My answer continued!!!
    But in a few weeks those cravings will die down and you will only have a couple a day and they only last a few mins. I now only have a craving like once a week if that. Your taste will change, your smell will change..some for the better some for the worse (some of that is part of being pregnant also). Hang in there, I promise it will get easier. Just remember you are doing this for the baby, the baby is a huge motivator for you to stay quit. If you need some help getting through this, send me a message, we can support each other!!!!
    vickwu

• I'm also preg and I quit smoking everytime I found out I was. I always gave myself one week from the day I found out to totally quit - but I crave them almost my entire pregnancies. Honestly, I have even caved in sometimes and taken a hit or two during the end of my pregs. I know i shouldn't but I'm only human and so far this preg I have only hit one - one time (after that first week). Unfortunately- right after the baby is born and we leave the hosp I start again. This time I'm really going to try not too, cause I know it isn't actual physical cravings anymore- its in my head. And no I never smoked in the car,house or anywhere my kids are and no never while bf-ing for all those I have angered. I'm human and atleast I can quit during my pregs. Good luck.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When I found out I was pregnant I quit cold turkey and never looked back. It's been well over a year and sometimes I do still crave them but when I look at my beautiful daughters face, I wouldn't change a thing! I want to be around for her as long as I can be.
    I wish you all the best, I know it's not easy but if you stick your mind to it, you can do ANYTHING!
    KenadysMom

Answer by KenadysMom at 12:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I really appreciate all the kind encouraging words! I am sitting here at my computer trying to keep my mind occupied on other things!!! lol
    Anonymous

• I use to smoke and everytime I got pregnant I would quit. I would start back up after the baby was born. I got tired of quiting and restarting and having to go through all thoses horrorable cravings so I desided to fully breastfeed my 3rd and stay away from them, which I am glad that I did because I found out 6 months ago that my mother (who has smoke most of her life) has small cell lung cancer. Now since my mother got sick it has made me stay away from those nasty things. I understand your feelings and what your going through just stick with it cause in the long run your helping your baby and your making your self more healthy!! Its always the first weeks that are the toughest, but after you got a whole month under your belt youll be alright. Just keep up the hard work and if you feel the need to talk to some one you can holla at me lol!!! Good luck and hang in there!!!
    Jessiewith3

Answer by Jessiewith3 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When a craving hits find a replacement. Take a walk or chew some gum do something else. It is going to be hard at first, but it's probably the best thing for you and baby. And hopefully the reminder that there is someone else you're affecting will give you enough strength. But also if you do have one enjoy it and move on. It's not an easy thing to kick. I applaud your efforts in wanting to quit.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I will probably hear some shit for saying this, but lets face it people, there are smokers in our world, and they too have the right to get pregnant. I was a heavy smoker before getting pregnant. I didnt find out that I was pregnant until I was already 3 months along. I told my doctor that I had been smoking before I knew I was pregnant. And he actually told me NOT to quit cold turkey but to try to at least cut down to no more than 3 a day. So I smoked 2 or 3 times a day through out my pregnancy, some days not at all. But my daughter is healthy as a horse lol. And she was a good weight at birth, got great apgar scores, and has no medical problems. Quiting can raise your stress levels, in turn stressing your baby. So talk to your doctor and see what his opinion is.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2008