Do you experiment or do you only make pre-existing things?

Do you look at ingredients and come up with a way to use them or do you always start with a recipe or a defined idea (like a roast in a roasting pan w/ potatoes and carrots, same way every time)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I try to experiment but my husband is better and more creative at doing that type of stuff.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i come up with an idea of what i want to make and make up my own recipe.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Hm. I guess we could be kind and say it is experimenting, but really it is just if I don't have the called-for ingredient then I'll substitute, or if I have just a little extra I'll dump it in rather than save just a bit. My dishes come out not nearly as good as they should.

Answer by Bmat at 9:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I see recipes as suggestions. I also think of my own ideas.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When I was 15 I experimented with a few spices and came up with some delicious chili! I even won a community chili cook off lol. I'll be damed if I remember that recipe though :(

Other than that I've done small things like add chicken, veggies, and egg, to rice-a-roni and made like a fried rice but I don't go too far. I don't have the patience lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I try to experiment. But with a husband as picky as mine it is hard.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My daughter complains that the same dish never tastes the same twice because I don't follow recipes. I tend to use recipes as suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I am an active member of Food.com (formerly recipezaar.com) and I LOVE to try a recipe as written and as I'm making it take notes of what I think would make improvements and then make it with the changes. I LOVE experimenting. I also have quite a few completely original recipes that I sometimes share with others. (Maybe this is why I LOVED chemistry in college? lol)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have a few recipes that I use and follow to the letter, otherwise they are seen as suggestions and I make alterations due to what I have on hand. I also have a recipe that my mom used while I was growing up and I have made serious improvements to it and she wants it sooo bad and I won't give it to her but I will make it for her. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I am 51 and don't think I have ever made the same thing twice. :)
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010