Do you really think someone would steal your kidney, if selling organs was legal?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 9:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "I'm just curious- do you really think a hospital is just going to accept a kidney and take your word for it that you got that kidney legally? And then what- give you a check??"

HAHAHA! That's my thinking exactly! No hospital is going to say, "Oh! You've brought us a beautiful, healthy kidney today! So, how much do we owe ya?" That's so silly! Or, someone in need won't be able to just show up at a hospital with a kidney in a cooler and ask the doctors to transplant it! So silly!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It certainly is possible! Just look at the psycho women who have murdered a near term pregnant woman and surgically removed the woman's baby, so they could have it!! I wouldn't put anything past desperate and deranged people!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, I really don't think so.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It is always very possible. OK there are ways to get things done illegally. Like for instance the black market. Then I am sure if some one buy a kidney off the streets then that person could find a corrupt doctor, who might do the surgery. It would open up a whole new world of danger.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm just curious- do you really think a hospital is just going to accept a kidney and take your word for it that you got that kidney legally? And then what- give you a check??
    Erica_Smerica

Comment by Erica_Smerica (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Thanks Kenzie!

LoriKeet- I agree with your other answer. It doesn't seem right to make a profit off of someone in need. But then if you were that person in need, wouldn't you be willing to pay money to actually get a kidney. There are those that will give just for the sake of giving- but we're missing all those people who won't donate without getting something in return.

Not only that, but organ transplants aren't a charity. You're paying out the butt for it as is. I don't agree that you should be able to jump in line just because you have more money. But maybe given donors and incentive would help those that are in need get organs more quickly.
    Erica_Smerica

Comment by Erica_Smerica (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• WHAT? So making it legal means that more people will go to the black market for a kidney? I mean sure you can get around things- and murder someone sell their kidney to a corrupt doctor. But making it legal to sell your organs would mean there's less incentive to sell the organs illegally.

Not only that- but like I said earlier. Supply and demand. If the supply goes up and the demand stays the same then the price drops. Maybe someone would murder for $50,000, but for $10,000 nope. So less murder, more kidneys, more healthy people.
    Erica_Smerica

Comment by Erica_Smerica (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I was going to say exactly what LoriKeet said, but once again she beat me to it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010