Care for breasts post breastfeeding

After three weeks of trying to nurse my preemie and pumping the crap out of my breasts (and my sanity) I decided formula is best for all of us (breastfeeding activists, no bashing, we tried hard, his mouth just isnt developed enough) My question is, after nursing/pumping do you just stop expressing all milk and wait to dry up or should you pump/express to comfort now and then to prevent infection? I am clueless. Help please!

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was not told to "absolutely not express". The Lactation lady from my hospital told me to try not to do it, but if the pain became unbearable to hand express just enough to take the edge off. Also, so keep from producing more milk, you need to wear a tight fitting bra (sportsbra worked best for me) to avoid nipple stimulation. You also need to be sure to wear it at night as well. Not the tight binding that you hear some women speak of (with ace bandages and such) but just a tight enough bra to where it wont wiggle and stimulate your nipples to produce more milk.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I was told to absolutely not express and to stay away from warm showers while drying up b/c the warmth helps w/ let down. I wouldn't worry about risk of infection b/c u didn't bf exclusively or for very long. good luck I know how uncomfortable that is.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Get some sage pills and take some sudafed, try not to pump hand express if you need to and crush cabbage leaves and put them in your bra
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• sorry to hear you couldn't bf- i couldn't bf my daughter either and i was kinda sad about it..... i don't really have any idea's about how to help dry up- mine were just so sore for a while.
    and don't let anyone bash you for not breast feeding,,,,, things just come up and makes it hard to. at least you tried. hope you feel better hun!
    alinzasmommy

Answer by alinzasmommy at 2:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Don't forget that breastfeeding is not an all or nothing thing. Why not keep up a bit of a supply so when baby is matured enough he is able to have the best? Especially with baby being a preemie that golden juice is almost essential. It is very taxing but when you look into those precious one's eyes, especially when they are struggling ,and know that you are giving him the best it feels so much better then continually asking yourself whether you could have help prevented xyz if you would have made it over that hurdle.  Good Luck and I really hope you reconsider for your precious one.

Anonymous

• Dear anonymous, how does that have anything to do with the care fo breast post partum? Do you not think I busted my butt trying so hard to bf my baby. I pumped for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then I gave him a bottle of bm because he couldnt suck hard enough to get satisfied which took another 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. By the time I was done it was time to do it over again. BM doesn't do baby any good if mom doesn't have time to EAT! I gave my preemie nothing but bm for the first 3 weeks of his life and I hate that there are people who try to make you feel guilty for doing whats best for your family. I tried everything. Met with lactation consultants, bought special systems, the works. Thanks for nothing but a guilt trip....
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008