Iron pills..has this happened to anyone?

I was prescribed iron pills for anemia. i didn't realize that they were time release capsules and couldn't chew them(i can't swollow pills whole), i chewed it and within 10 minutes i was sicker than i dog. if i moved a finger i felt like i was gonna throw up, this lasted 24 hours. now, im affraid to take another one even though i kinda have to. has this happened to anyone else?? ive heard nothing but bad things about iron pills. what are your experiences with iron pills?

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 1:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my first pregnancy I was also prescribed iron pills for amenia. The first week or so I was feeling sick and jittery. I suggest maybe cutting the pills in half and taking them before bedtime, Im pregnant now and the pre-natal vitamins make me feel ill so I take them at night so the effects will kick in while Im sleeping, YOu may want to ask your doctor if they can give you iron supplement in liquid form. My son was prescribed that maybe they have it for adults......
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 1:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i'm 28wks and have been on them for about 2wks... Honestly the only side effect from them is horrible constipation, but you can take a stool softener for that.. Other that that I feel better than I did before.. anemia a can cause fatigue and many other crappy symptoms and since I've been on the iron I have a bunch more energy.. Maybe ask your dr if there is a different kind you can take?? You really need to take them, anemia can cause a lot of complications including postpartum hemmorage. GL
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I am sup to take them but like you get sicker then all get out. I am prego with my 4th, and I dont take them, I take 3 flinstones instead of two and I make it a point to eat iron enriched foods, brocci, spaniche, raisians, Look on the lables of the food your eatting and if it says 50% or more of your daily iron then eat it. My doc said this was ok, and to try and eat more steak. it has lots of iron in it. OJ is good to, oatmeal.
    I also found that with the Iron pills I was constipated more then I am with out them so I would make sure that if you do take them to get a stoll softener as well.
    Anonymous

• Agree with the above poster. There are things you can do besides taking supplements to up your Iron. I am by no means saying go against what you doctor has said, but maybe ask him about some alternatives?
    For example: I had low iron. not low enough to put me on any supplements, but low enough that it was note worthy. I started cooking everything in a cast iron pan, and my levels came back up to just below normal. Would your doctor recommend this? Probably not. Mine didn't. But it worked.
    Just wanted to add that in there along with what the PP said, eat Iron rich foods and just try to stay healthy.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would avoid caffeine as it interferes with iron absorption. I think smoking does as well (not saying you do, just pointing it out). I have also heard not to take iron pills with milk but someone could have just been blowing smoke up my rear. There is a great recipe for a spinach salad w/strawberries, cucumbers and red onions with a lemon poppyseed dressing (sounds gross but it's really good). If you'd like it, PM me and I'll give it to you. Spinach is a good iron booster. If you were to cut up the pills would you be able to swallow them?
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm exactly the same way I cant swallow pills at all! so I either crush them or I ask for chewables or liquid but there are some stupid doctors that even when I tell them I cant swallow pills they still insist and prescribe me the damn pills! but i just dont take them. I got very anemic too after I had my son, my white blood cells went wack and since I hardly had any iron in my system the doctor injected me 20 iron shots on my butt, for me that was way better because I didnt have to swallow any pills, so ask your doctor if he can do that instead, or take flinstones chewables with iron, thats what I would do.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• they make liquid iron for infants, my daughter has to take them (she's anemic) and I slip them in her juice. Talk to your Dr and ask if you can take those but double the amount or something.
    lilac84

Answer by lilac84 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I had to also take them for anemia. My iron only read a 3 in tests. I was sick!! Not only sick when I took them but the constipation was horrible!!.
    I quit and started eating foods high in iron ie broc/spinach/asparagus

Once I had my hysterectomy, in cured my anemia problem.

don't take them with dairy/coffee/pop/or high acidy foods. Strictly water. Take at night before bed. This way it will pass over night and you won't have the sickness/jitters etc..
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 3:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I was supposed to take those when I was pregnant with my first child but I knew I'd have horrid constipation. Iron is not my friend! I couldn't take the prenatal vitamins either so I started taking two flinstone vitamins with iron a day. I got everything I needed w/o constipation. Well, almost. Lol. If you need pre nats, you can find some with a diff kind of iron that won't cause constipation.
    jltplk

Answer by jltplk at 3:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Also..... You have to take or eat something, I was sick as a dog with my iron supplements with my youngest and I decided to stop taking them, well I found out 5 months ago that my youngest is severely anemic now and it's because she didn't get enough in utero.
    lilac84

Answer by lilac84 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2008