pets and death

I have an interesting one. Steve (our cat) had quite a few friends in our old neighborhood. When we moved he started howling and meowing constintly. He would just mope around the house and stopped eating. So we got him a friend. Who ran away. We were done with cats until a friend brought us a stray. How could we say no? We called her Katy. So about 4 nights ago we were infront of the house and Kitty ran right into the street. She was hit by a car and ran to the front yard and collapsed. My husband picked her up totake her to a vet and she died a minute later. Steve saw the whole thing.
Needless to say, we were all a little tramatized. Steve is back to being the loudest cat in the world. I feel bad and can't get mad but it is driving us crazy. He will get us out of bed in at night and follow me around during the day just whining. I don't want to get another cat but is there anything I can do?

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pets

• Get some fish, that way he can watch them and keep him entertained. That or get another cat and keep it inside.
    calapuls

Answer by calapuls at 2:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't know what to tell you honey, I am sorry. I had 2 cats, and my roommate had one cat (this was...3? years ago). She had a girl and I had a girl and a boy (Brother/sister pair) and the girls never cared for each other, but both of them adored Tiger. Well, at 1 year old, Tiger got hit by a car, and they both saw it. They both came over to him and refused to go away, every time we tried to pick them up they would run out of range of us, but were watching Tiger the whole time. Well, he passed away at the emergency vets office. Gizmo and Amelio (the 2 girls) were heartbroken, but they bonded together and have been inseparable since. I actually gave Gizmo to my roommate when I moved in with my bf, so that they girls could stay together. IMO you can try to wait it out, he is going through his grieving stages right now. Or, you can get another pet (but it doesn't sound like you want to do that) Maybe a puppy?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It sounds like he is trying to tell you something, cat's communicate by meowing, maybe he sences something. T o answer your question maybe try holding him talking to him, even ask him questions I know that sounds silly but you should be able to see something in his eyes or behavior.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• wow cats aren't usually as much "buddies" as like dogs are but pets do have a hard time when one dies. our dogs just get over it but it doesn't sound like your cat feels that way. i would recommend getting another cat from a shelter one that is older and used to being indoors. they stay out of the road a bit better. we just have one cat and he is pretty independent so i wish you luck with steve.
    orangetattoo

Answer by orangetattoo at 4:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Since you all moved it sounds like he does miss his friends. Cats have special friends. In my neighbor hood, the out side cats do come and visit. They even come in tru the cat door for food and visit. It may sound strange but all the cats are cool to each other. They come and go as they please. I have 4 cats 1 is an in door cat the others prowle the yard. They all visit each others homes. I know it sounds pretty strange but cats can be social. Sounds like your kitty wants some friends.If you can ,adopt another kitty and keep it inside. Most likely a kitten 6 months old would help your steveie out cause they love to play. If not try giving your cat another type of play mate..
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 8:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Thanks for all the great answers! I was really afraid of sounding like a crazy cat lady. I have another question. I am worried about getting another cat right now because we live on a busy road and we are moving within a year. (We are trying to buy a home and chose the worst time in the worlds history to do it!). We tried to keep Katy in the house but she would go crazy when Steve went out without her. Is it possible to have one indoor and one outdoor cat? Or should we just wait it out until we move to a less busy neighborhood?

Also, Steve looks both ways when he crosses the street. I know it sounds crazy but he really does. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks again!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• dont let them outside thats how they get hurt.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2008