How do I get my 11 month old to sleep at night

My 11 month old baby girl sleeps with me because she wont sleep in the crib. I tried the cry it out ... check back in on her... doesnt work (tried it for 2 night) since then if you even put her near her crib she cries. She cries so much til she throws up and it breaks my heart. She goes to sleep at 10pm (I get home from work at 9pm) and she gets up 3x a night want pacifier or bottle. I am exhausted. My husband has been on the coach for 11 months. We are about to give up and just buy a bigger bed... don't know what to do. as anyone had this problem?

swahili

Asked by swahili at 1:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did. You seriously just have to stay consistent. I am a single mom and I work and go to school, I was DEAD every morning. But you can't have your child sleepin in your bed forever. Be consistent, have her take naps in there & just everytime you check on her just lay her back down, give her her bottle or binky, and make each trip in longer in time, like first time after 5 minutes, next after 10, eventually, I PROMISE, she will sleep in it. It took me about a week and now she has been sleeping in her crib for almost 2 months. It's hard, trust me, my DD used to cry so hard she would hold her breath and pass out, but its a form of temper tantrum, so her dr said, so you just HAVE to do it. Good luck, any ?'s email me!!
    Avasmommy17

Answer by Avasmommy17 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I put a teaspoon of whole grain baby rice cereal in my babies bottle. He wakes up once a night and he isn't even 7 months yet. Some moms are against this and will bash you for it but i've never seen anything wrong with it...My mom did it with me and I do it with my son...ALOT of people do this to help their baby sleep. I advise you to atleast give it a TRY to see if you like it or not for a few days.
    Anonymous

• Also, along with what the other 2 have said (and more along the lines with the first poster) you HAVE to stay consistent. 2 days is not enough to wean her from your bed. Think more along the lines of 2 weeks. When she falls asleep for naps, put her in her crib. That way she wakes up there and sees that nothing scary is going to happen. When she is ok with that after a day or 2, put her to sleep in her crib. Try it, and give it more than 2 days. Good Luck momma!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• If its just the comfort of the pacifier or bottle that she needs, you can buy glow in the dark pacifiers, so she can find her own at night. As far as getting her to sleep in the crib, have a routine at night so she knows its bed time. And since you don't get home from work until 9:00 and you are probably tired, it can be a simple 5-10 minute thing, just enough so she knows its bed time. Like brush teeth, read a story, go to bed. At first, go ahead and rock her to sleep. The gradually start putting her down more and more awake. It may take a while, but eventually she will be able to go into her crib still awake and fall right to sleep. And do the same thing when she wakes during the night, so she can learn to put herself back to sleep. This is what I did with my little guy and he has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks old. Good luck!

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My daughter was like that too only at around 6 or 7 months. She was sleeping with me and DH. I knew(from experience 2 other boys) that she needed to learn to sleep in her own bed. I know that you love her and it breaks your heart, but sleeping in her own bed is what is best for the both of you. I agree with first post. Be consistent. Try starting on a weekend so you have fri, sat, and sun to work on it. It took me a little over a week to get the bed time thing down. I started putting her in her crib at naps and once she got used to that I started at night. I would check on her if she cried but didn't pick her up. I promise she will still love you . Just keep trying and be consistent. Good luck girlfriend! Email me if you have ?'s
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2008