Leaving the state?

My husband wants a divorce (long story short he doesnt want to work, does drugs, and doesnt help with our child and only wakes up when i go to work). I'm trying to find a job and I've found several out of state but no good ones in state...so can i move out of state for one of these jobs or can he keep me here bc of our child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• as long as the court hasn't said otherwise yet, yep you can leave the state! Go now before he files or you'll have to wait out the custody battle before moving
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Go to www.womenslaw.org and click on KNOW THE LAWS for your state or call your local domestic violence shelter and ask. I know he's not abusing you but they know the laws for stuff like this in your state.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• He could try to file for temp. child custody if he wanted to, and a judge could make you stay until a custody battle plays out. However if you can prove in court that moving is better for the child than staying by showing that you will live near more supportive people (like family), make more money to care for the child, and provide a better environment, the court will more than likely side with you. I would worry that by leaving right now, a judge later would hold it against you. Good luck sweetie!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• chances are he's too lazy to take any action against you. and even if he did... make sure you can prove what a piece of crap he is (document!) if you're worried. you can demand drug testing, psychological evaluation, and other roadblocks
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• He can't keep you from moving out of state. My ex and I lived in different states for several years, he just had to come back here whenever we had a court date and to pick up/drop off the children.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010