Do you find this phrase hurtful?

"I want my kids to have more than I had growing up?"

Or however you say that. Isn't that kinda a slap in the face to your parents?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 10:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If you said this to your parents, definitely. But, if you are talking to friends, they shouldn't react the way your parents would.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When I say it, it has nothing to do with material possessions and I do mean it as a slap in my parents faces.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• depends on what kind of parents you had. And no it isn't. I expect my son to try his hardest to do better for his kids than I did. I think it is a good thing to strive for.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't think so. I think every generation wants more for their kids than they had. Even my mom says she wants my kids to have more than she could give me growing up.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't think it is. I think it is human nature to want to learn and grow. As a mother I would hope my children are better parents than me. Not that I am a bad parent, but there is always room for improvement.
    I would be proud that my kids strive for more.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Not at all... I strive to give my kids everything, but I can't... I hope they can give their kids more and better than what they have. Besides, if you grew up like I did, any decent loving parent would want better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, because my parents felt the same way about us when I was a kid, and they are glad that they succeeded. They understand the phrase isn't about them.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I know it's not a slap in the face to my parents...they do want my children to have a better life than I had growing up. And my children have a much easier life than i had. I think it all depends on the situation.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• With how I grew up it even my mother would want me to aim at this and not see it as a slap in the face just a good goal.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• no. my parents tried their hardest to give us all they could. but their situation could have been better had they done more before they had kids.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010