Please HELP!!! IM COMPLETELY LOSING MY MIND!!!!!

Ok, My daughter is almost 2 and yes, Im aware of the terrible twos. But she won't stop this high pitch screaming when she says ANYTHING!!! It's making my head hurt and Im breaking into tears every day. I feel like Im going to snap. I can't take it anymore!!!! She has been sick but this is beyond that.....What have you done for your little one and screaming??? Please help me!!! Im ready to take her to the doctor it's so bad. I feel like Im going to have a breakdown :(

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• She is learning to push your buttons and what gets a reaction out of you (positive or negative). The first thing you have to do, is try not to let it get to you and do not react in front of her. Maybe try walking away when she screams like that. I'm not suggesting leaving her, but if you are at home--leave the room. Let her see that it does not get a reaction out of you....count to ten when before you react when you can't walk away and then calmly deal with the situation. Good luck! And remember, this is a learning process for us, too!!
    hipmomof2

Answer by hipmomof2 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• start small and work up to all day. reward her for going an hour with out then longer. rewrard the good behaviour. Do not put up with screaching!! Than goodness mine never screached.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Mine does that when he does not get his way...other moms on here have told me to put him in his room while he is screaming and tell him if he wants to scream to do it in there....that has seemed to work, lol he actually gets up and runs in his room and slams the door by himself and comes out promptly when he wants a hug...about 2 min lol...sorry to hear you are having a rough time and I hope it gets better...
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand. So, it's not only when she's upset? Like, if she's happy she yells in a high-pitched voice? I haven't reached that stage with my son yet, but it doesn't sound to fun. However, I'm sure that's all it is...a phase. Best of luck, hope you get some advice. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• not sure if it's the best advice you'll get but when my DD started doing that, I started screaching right back. Shocked her into silence and I think she got the idea that it is not a fun sound to listen to.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Show her a place where she can go to have her screams.

Tell her she makes the best screams you've ever heard, and such screams deserve a place all their own. (make sure it's a little bit away from you.)

When she starts, tell her calmly to go to her screaming place. Eventually, since she's not getting attention from it, it will stop.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Make sure you are not talking in a loud voice. Tell her it is unacceptable. Do not ignore it, keep telling her to use her indoor voice, when outside let it all out then.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• The phrase we use at home is "Inside voices please" and we say it softly so that she understands that an inside voice is a soft quiet voice
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would advise you to make an appointment with her Pediatrician. My three kids were not perfect but they were pretty easy going and didn't scream. It was very rare that they flipped out. I would be worried. And it is not a good thing for you. I wish you luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Is there a reason she starting doing this in the first place? Yes, there are terrible twos, but, the best thing you can do is try to ignore it. I know this will be easier said than done. If you choose to ignore it, she should respond because you are not paying attention to her. She is trying to get to you, and don't let it, or she will continue to do it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010