Was there ever a point in time when you and your SO/DH felt more like room mates instead of a couple?

I remember having a period of time like this a few times with in a year or so. for a little bit during my pregnancy, and a little after my son was born. I finally put my foot down and let him know it was not acceptable any more and we BOTH need to try to progress or I will give up too.

He didn't like the thought of me giving up because her knew I had to be at my end to do so, so he got on the same boat and we WORKED on it together. Now we are happy, still have our issues, but we work everything out now.

Did you ever have a point like this?

If you are at this point...If no body else responds to this then at least you know one other person had a moment like this and it is possible to get passed it.

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• lol, yeah, all the time. Sometimes you have to just have lots of sex, and sometimes you have to have good conversations. And sometimes I think we forget to touch each other.

Answer by lovinangels at 11:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I did when I was married. As a matter of fact we got along a lot better when we did live like roommates! Of course we're divorced now.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Every single freaking day!

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• More than once. We have been married for 10 years. We were lucky enough to be taught as children that this was a normal part of marriage, and that you had to work through it. That during these times you have to "fake it till it's real." My parents taught us that just as their parents taught it to them, a lesson that has been passed down generation after generation as far back as our family goes. These kind of questions make me so glad to have a family with no divorce in it's history. Ever.

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Comes and goes...its part of the deal with real long term relationships.

Answer by 2boimommy at 12:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• it's been like that now and then. we always find a way to reconect though.

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• He is the roommate who doesn't pay any bills or pick up after himself. I'm thinking divorce. What good is a marriage contract when the only thing you gain is a parasite?

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• once in a while we get to the point where we aren't able to relate to each other very well and treat each other like roommates in order to avoid a giant screaming argument. it's just a way to take a little space for ourselves and get some clarity and perspective. it never lasts very long, and he is usually the one to make the first move to get us back to being a couple (i'm very stubborn...). every now and then i get worried that it will not end, but it always does. we're learning all the time and we do make a point of keeping things interesting by making sure we get out together alot even if just to run errands together, but also dinners out, lots of sex, and try really hard not to take each other for granted.

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• there has been times yes being with my other half for 31 years i have said it like we are brother and sister living togther yuk and when the kids hear this they start walking around funny looking we both lol out our age you can hall sex for so long that you need some booty call once in while so your not alone lol

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• yup! for about 6 months after our twins were born... We just got into such a routine with caring for them, that important aspects of our marriage were overlooked. We were still having sex, but other things that I found important weren't there. So, I said something! And, he was like "wow, didn't even think about it!" and that's all it took and we were back on the same page. Now, there are plenty of times where we are so exhausted that we arto go to bed that we don't really get to talk or have relationship time, but it's not the distance that was once there!

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:06 AM on Aug. 3, 2010