Why marry?

I always had the opinion about marriage. Why does a piece of paper need to tell me how much I love someone or how my values would be or morals. Anyways my evil MIL was at my place yesterday and I said that and she got all puffy about it and said kids have better morals and values when their parents are married. How the freak is that? How is a piece of legal paper making kids morals and values better isn't it up to the parents on what they teach their kids? The only reason my hubby and I got married is because of the military and we wouldn't be allowed to live with each other till he hit a certain rank, so we married because we didn't want to be separated for 4+ years till he hit his rank. My MIL continue to say kids get teased and tortured in school if their parents are married.Yeah right. This century is different then when she grew up in.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think your MIL is right. Kids do not get teased b/c their parents aren't married. My parents got divorced, and I never once were teased because of that.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I swore I'd never Marry again,and then along came my Hubby.... We decided to Marry because to us it was how we showed our commitiment to each other and our family (I had 3 children previous)... That paper doesn't keep us together, our Love does.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I do believe in marriage. I think that if two people are willing to give their lives to each other, having a piece of paper shows the world that they are dedicated to each other and to marriage. But your MIL is wrong - kids don't get teased about that stuff anymore... it seems that broken marriages are sadly now the majority.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• What your MIL is saying i dont agree with. But also I dont think marriage is all about a peice of paper...being someones wife and being someones girlfriend is a big difference to me.
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 12:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Why conform to societies standards at all? Why not make your own? Why live the life that society dictates? WHy go to sleep when it is dark and work when it is light?
    you have to find your own balance and do what is right for you. You can argue the point of why marry but you did it to conform to what society expects or dictates.
    I agree that a kid doesn't need the family to be a husband and wife. I mean seriously what if I had two mommies? OH yeah people do. The society we live in has moved forward however not every one in our whole society would agree. That is what makes up the whole of us.. Each of our differences makes up what we are collectively.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• the law is different in each state so if you live togther more then 3months you our common -law and it does't matter if child living on parent or with two as long as you teach them the failuse of life that all that matters.
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i believe in marriage. That piece of paper doesn't say how much you love one another, it is to make it be known you have legal rights over one another.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The "piece of paper" doesn't mean much at all. Its the level of commitment that counts...and that can be different for a given couple. So, I guess what I'm saying is that marriage is an appropriate choice for some, perhaps not for others. As for the kids being teased...who would know unless someone told? If everyone is together, that sort of thing is likely assumed...it used to be that a child born out of wedlock was a "bastard"...is that even really a concept today?? When I use the word bastard, I'm usually applying it to some adult male...not a kid whose parents aren't married!
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 12:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It shows a certain level of commitment that can create a more stable environment to raise children in.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 1:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've been married. It's overrated and I wouldn't do it again

Answer by admckenzie at 1:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010