How can I get my 5yr old to wipe himself after he goes potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• AVARAH, HAS A GOOD IDEA THERE. THIS IS PROB TMI, BUT CHOSE TO READ ON IF YOU WANT. MY DARLING DAUGHTER GAVE ME HEMROIDS THAT HAVENT GONE AWAY, AND PROB NEVER WILL. THIS OBVIOUSLY MAKES IT HARDER TO CLEAN AFTER A BOWEL, THEREFORE WE KEEPS WET WIPES IN THE BATHROOM. THE PROBLEM WITH HAVING CHILDREN ASK FOR HELP TO DO IT, IS WHEN THEY START SCHOOL YOU DONT WANT THEM TO NEED THE TEACHER TO DO IT FOR THEM. MAYBE YOU COULD STAND IN THERE WITH HIM, AND ASIST HIM SHOULD HE NEED IT. FIRST I WOULD SHOW HIM THE POOP STAIN IN HIS UNDERWEAR ONE NIGHT WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF. ON A DAY WHEN HE HASNT WIPES, MAYBE DO THIS BEFORE YOU GET THE WET WIPES, OR START TRYING TO WORK ON IT. MAKES SURE THAT HE UNDERSTANDS THAT IT IS POOP THAT HE DIDNT CLEAN OFF AND THAT IT HAS BEEN TOUCHING HIS SKIN ALL DAY. MAYBE TELL HIM THAT PEOPLE CAN SMELL POOP ON HIM WHEN HE DOESNT WIPE PROPERLY. GOOD LUCK!

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 3:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• You mean when he takes a crap? I had to get those flushable wet wipes cause he doesn't like using the toilet paper. Try that out on him, he may like them better and when he gets older just stop buying them.
    calapuls

Answer by calapuls at 2:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yeah I think the flushable wet wipes sounds like a good idea. I think we need more information here. Does he not like the feel of the toilet paper? If he uses the wet wipes it might feel more comfortable for him since that's what has always been used on him. Other than that, all I can think of is teaching him how yucky it is when you don't wipe your bottom. If you have to, make up something about yucky little bugs that'll be left on his bum if he doesn't wipe them off after he potties. He's just a little kid, you can explain the real reason for wiping when he's a bit older.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Here's my theroy on this men's mothers should have taken extra time to teach them how to wipe properly and we wouldnt have the nasty underware that we wash of our hubbys!! I was going through the same thing with my 3 yr old and i got the wet wipes for him and I make sure that he askes for help so its done right.... I do not want my sons wife to wash his nasty underware cause his mommy wouldnt teach him how to wipe right!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When I finally explained to my stepbaby that he had to wipe 'til the paper was clean it made more sense to him. Before, he just gave it a desultory swipe and called it a day. I had to teach him to take enough to fold it and wipe again and again 'til it was actually clean.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2008