whenever me or my husband try to change our 10 month old daughters dipar she throws a fit....we can get it off of her but trying to put a new one on is hell...how do we get her to lay down and let us put a dipar on her

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm having the same issue with my 8 month old son. Another problem for us, that you luckily won't have! lol, is that he wants to constantly grab his little pee pee! A good distraction technique is key for us. Try giving her a wet wipe to play with. I did this today with my son, mainly because I wanted to keep him from grabbing his new "built in toy", but he was fascinated & just laid still and played with the wipe!

Good luck, and if you find some magic trick, please let me know!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 2:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Have you tried the distraction technique? Give her something to play with like your car keys, and make it something you only give her when she gets her diaper changed so that way she starts to look forward to it.
    calapuls

Answer by calapuls at 2:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My son tries to get away every time we change his diaper. No matter what we give him to play with he'll scoot himself away by pushing with his legs or try to roll over. Finally I just started to put my foot on him while I was changing him. I sit on the floor in front of him then put my foot on his chest & change him that way.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 3:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• LOL....my son is a MANIAC when we go to change him. He fights WITH ALL HIS MIGHT!
    I've been trying everything.....lately....I get him distracted before even laying him down to change. I get him laughing ....get him a cool toy he hasn't played with for a couple days. Whatever.
    It's working more than not....but there's still struggling when he wants to.
    Anonymous

• A good smack on the ass may help.. why are parent so afriad to assert themselves? A good hard smack on the ass will prevent them from being in control and thinking they run the show.
    Anonymous

• and it probably won't stop for a couple more months (sorry to tell you); Our 11 mo. old started rolling out of her diaper during changing as soon as she got the whole rolling trick down! and now that she crawls it's even worse. It literally takes 4 hands to change her - sorry no real advice here. . . .just glad we're not the only ones - be patient; there will be more phases coming soon!
    luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 8:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• my son is 5 months old and just turned into a crazy wiggle worm when we try and geta diaper back on him. i give him a burp cloth or blanket that he plays with and it distracts him, or i make funny faces and noises at him which amuses him as well.
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 10:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Distraction is a great tool: singing, toys, being really silly (that worked for our daughter)....whatever you know will get him to hold still long enough.

And when that didn't work for us, I just "arm-pitted" her: leaned over her and propped my arm over the upper part of her body. That usually worked.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 1:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Try a wipes warmer. My daughter used to freak out because of the wipes being so cold.. Hope it helps.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2008