newborn clothing

What's the difference between newborn size and size 0 (usually 0-3 mos) size? Can I just get the 0-3 mos and be ok? I'm trying to get at least some essentials for the baby should she decide to come early.

I'm looking at the Gerber baby onsies, and from the reviews it looks like they run small so I'm thinking of getting the 0-3 instead of the newborn size. Thoughts?

Thanks ladies.

kltinsley

Asked by kltinsley at 1:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would skip the gerber onesies and get the Carter's brand. They last longer and they fit better. You definitely can skip the newborn size and go to 0-3 months, but you might want to get just a couple of newborn outfits that will fit nicely for pictures. I had a 9 1/2 pound baby and a 9lb15oz baby and both were able to wear newborn sizes.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• they are the same NB and 0-3. Unless you have a very big baby everything will be very big for a little while (even NB) if yours is under 6 pounds a couple preemie outfits wouldn't hurt for a few weeks- optional) but 0-3 will work fine and they grow fast!!!! anyhow also brand sizes (even though marked the same) run a different fit. GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• ps. i should have put mine were
    7pounds 8 ounces
    6 pounds 15 ounces
    the swam in their NB and 0-3 but they made due and like I said they grow quick!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Honestly I found the newborn sizes a total waste of money. DS was almost 9 lbs at birth and in less than two weeks he could no longer fit the newborn size. Go ahead a get 0-3months wearing slightly baggy cloths will not hurt your child and it will save you money.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Newborn is generally a bit smaller than 0-3, but as small as Preemie. I had to go buy some NB for my last baby, who came home at 6#8oz. That fit her for several weeks. 0-3 was just huge on her. Has your doc given you an estimate of how big your baby is?

You could go with 0-3, it's just fit longer if your baby is smaller. I know that at nearly 2 and 23#, my daughter now wears size 18 month gerber onesies, and can still fit into size 6-9 Target brand! (Target brand is long). My DD is smallish, though. She is average size for a 15 month old. We're just little people--I am only 5'1"
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My girls were 8lb and 7lb 9oz and they both wore their newborn clothes for the first 2-3 weeks and the 0-3 months were way too big. Like I'd put a 0-3 sleeper on my baby who's 6 months now and she'd be able to pull her legs out of the leg holes and she'd put her feet where the crotch was lol I'd get a little bit but not too much in NB sizes. If you're due in the next few months then I would just get onesies in NB.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son was 6.5lbs, came home from the hospital at 6... Newborn was huge on his... and wore newborn til he was almost a month old... 0-3 is normally just a little bit bigger unless you stop at target... their sizes always run bigger.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 2:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• NB and 0-3 aren't the same thing. My daughter is 3 1/2 weeks old, was 7 lbs 12 oz at birth, and the 0-3 month size still swallow her! The only thing that fits her are the NB sizes. I would definitely want some NB clothes - they aren't that expensive and although they aren't in them for long, I like my kids having clothes that fit! To come home from the hospital I actually had her 2 preemie outfits that fit her even better than the NB (the preemie outfits went up to 8 lbs, which she was well under since she dropped weight in the hospital - as most babies do).

Answer by missanc at 8:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Don't buy alot of any newborn or 0-3 sizes! The Gerber onesies to run small so I personally wouldn't buy any that were 0-3. My first son was born at 9 lbs 11 ounces and didn't wear ANY newborn diapers or newborn clothes that I had got for him so it was a complete waste. Most babies are only in that size for a very short time (sometimes weeks or even just days). I would concentrate more on the 3-6 month range or clothes. If you baby is born premature or early, you can always pick up a few more things or have someone else pick up a few more items for you, but chances are you won't need them!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Neither of mine could ever wear NB sizes, which, if I remember correctly, are for under 8 lbs. They both started in 0-3 size. Mine were 8 lbs. 3.8 oz and 8 lbs. 10.6 oz at birth.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010