Who really goes based on the age on the box?

I am askinbg this after reading some ones question. Who goes based on the age on the box? I work with kids and have 2 of my own and I must say I use more of the common sense and how my child acts. My daughter has a room with alot of age groups on them. I remeber my oldest first chirstmas and I had mostly things 12 months to 18 months on them. She was more advanced and was able to handle them. Like puzzles my children have a box of puzzles and they are wooden and yes they go in the month or they get thrown and all. But as a mom I look at the over all toy and knowing my children I look at how they handle toys and things.

moma22angels

Asked by moma22angels at 2:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have never gone by the age on the box, like you I use common sense when buying them something.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• If I'm shopping for a 3 month old I'll do something in the 3-6 months range.
    If I'm shopping for a 6 month old I'll do something in the 6-12 months range.
    If I'm shopping for a 12 month old I'll do something in the 12-18 months range.

I always go a little bit older then what the box said because especially with babies I rather have them "grow into it" then "out grow it".

As we get in the 2, 3, 4, 5 years old then I pretty much shop for that age range according to the box, but then again I always make sure it goes up. For example for 2 year old I would buy something that said 2-5 years old and NOT 18-24 months.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It depends.
    Things marked 3+ should never be given to a child under 2 since they contain small parts that pose a choking hazard.
    Other than that, it depends on the child. Some kids will be bored with many "age appropriate" toys, others will do fine. Some toys for younger ages still have lots of appeal for older kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm not sure that the age range on toys is necessarily focused on telling you what is developmentally appropriate, but rather what is safe at what age. Each child is different and has develops abilities at different ages. The main thing is safety.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 1:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• IN MY OPINION, I THINK FOR THE MOST PART, THEY ONLY PUT THAT ON BOXES SO THAT THEY CAN'T BE SUIED IF A CHILD CHOKES AND GOD-FORBID DIES FROM THEIR PRODUCT. I NEVER HAVE GONE BY WHAT IS ON THE BOX EITHER. I THINK ABOUT WHAT MY DAUGHTER WOULD BE INTERESTED IN, AND WHAT WOULD BORE HER. SHE NEVER PLAYED WITH THE TYPICAL BABY TOYS. SHE WANTED THE CUBES WITH SHAPES AND THINGS LIKE THAT. SHE HASNT QUITE FIGURED OUT HOW TO MATCH THE SHAPE TO THE WHOLE, WITHOUT TRYING TO CRAM THE SHAPES INTO ALL HOLES UNTIL IT GOES IN. AT LEAST SHE IS LEARNING AND ENTERTAINED THOUGH. IF THE PRODUCT HAS SMALL PIECES THAT I AM CONSURNED ABOUT I SIMPLY REMOVE THEM FROM THE TOY, GAME, ETC.

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i never look at the age on the box, i always make the call for myself if i think my son would do ok with it
    Jasmine0530

Answer by Jasmine0530 at 7:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2008