Am I in labor or what???

Since Wednesday morning, I have been having periods of contractions that come and go. I was 1-2 cm dilated on Thursday morning. I've got a really high tolerance for discomfort and pain, and hate the hospital, so I'm really reluctant to go if I'm not really in labor. Today I have been feeling really yuck and am having slight contractions on and off, especially when I'm sitting still. And the baby is moving a lot. I guess I'm just worried that I won't get there in time to have my antibiotics since I tested positive for the strep. Seriously, chat am i supposed to feel? How do I know if it's really labor? Right now I feel really heavy with a dull back ache, period cramps, and definite tightening every now and then.

Asked by BekahB at 3:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• sounds like early stages of this ur first? the day before i had my son, i had tightening and felt like i had the flu...i was real achy and it got worse the longer i sat still. the next morning i woke up at 2:30am to my water breaking. i still waited about an hour before i went to the hospital. i would call the dr and tell him ur symptoms and see what he says(thats what they are there for)

Answer by trentntats at 4:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Better safe then sorry I say, call your doctor and see what he says. My doctor told me to wait until the "cramping" was 5 min's apart, but I didnt have the strep so it may be different for you. I also was told that movement (like walking) should bring on labor more quickly, not just sitting there. But like I said I would def. play it safe and call your doctor! :)

Answer by tlsteinbeck at 4:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• thanks ladies. yes this is my first. i really have just felt sluggish and weary all day. i'm anxious to not be pregnant anymore, but i know i need to stop worrying about it! my grandmother always said, "a watched pot never boils". but since i have the strep bacteria, i am supposed to go to the hospital as soon as my water breaks, contractions or not. so we'll just wait and see! thanks!

Answer by BekahB at 7:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• well just know that chances are your water wont break. Many peoples don't adn the dr or nurse has to break it for them.

Answer by trentntats at 5:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2008