I need help! I need a healthy, easy recipe to make something good with eggplant! Any ideas?

So, I'm working on getting healthy and using more fruits and veggies. Well, today I bought an eggplant, but now I don't know what to do with it! Any suggestions on how to cook it and make it really good? I don't want to add a bunch of oils or fats.

lilmama121406

Asked by lilmama121406 at 2:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I put it in spaghetti sauce. When I have everything I want to put it in, it has tomatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, eggplant, squash (yellow summer squash), zucchini, spinach, and I know I'm forgetting something...I just chunk up the eggplant (seeds & skin included), coat it with salt and put it in my colander, let it drain for about half an hour, rinse it, and throw it in the pot with everything else, and let it cook away. My kids know what I all put in the sauce and they love it more than store-bought. It gets a huge variety of veggies in too, lots of colors.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I make eggplant parmesan, eggplant lasagna, and my favorite is babaganoush. All are pretty easy. For the parmesan or lasagna, I slice the eggplant in thick slices, dip it in egg whites, then in seasoned breadcrumbs. I put a cookie cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Spray the rack with cooking spray, put the eggplant on the rack in a single layer, and spray with cooking spray. Then bake at 350 until the eggplant is cooked, and the outside is crispy. Lay in a single layer in a glass baking pan, top with your favorite sauce, sprinkle with mozarella cheese, and bake again until cheese is melted. For Lasagna put a single layer of eggplant in the bottom of the pan, mix ricotta cheese, some garlic, pepper, basil, 1-2 eggs, and spread over eggplant. put another layer of eggplant over the cheese, spread with sauce, then sprinkle with mozarella.

Babaganoush is a Greek dish that I love with pita bread.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Fried Eggplant:Pare eggplant and cut in thin slices. flour sides,place in a hot oil to brown each side.Season with salt and pepper.

Eggplant and Rice:1 cup uncooked rice,1 chopped onion,3 Tablespoons oil,1 eggplant.2 cups tomato juice,basil, parsley and thyme.Cook rice till done for 10 minutes.Steam eggplant.Brown the onion in oil.Mix herbs with drained rice.Add eggplant.Grease a baking dish and pour in mixture. Sprinkle with onion.Pour tomato juice over all, and bake 25 minutes until nice and bubbly

Baked Sliced Eggplant:1 eggplant,1/3 cup melted butter,1 tsp. salt,1/4 tsp. pepper,1/2 cup bread crumbs
    Peel and cut eggplant,crosswise,into 1/2inch slices.Brush each slice with butter,add salt and pepper to crumbs.Dip buttered slices into crumbs.Bake uncovered,on a greased baking sheet in a 450 oven 8 minutes.

Hope these help!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 5:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I haven't tried this yet. but it looks pretty good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/penne-with-eggplant-aubergine-160833
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am part of sparkpeople.com. You could try some recipies they have. :)

It is an excellent site and it's free! :)

{The button below says diet site but they also have a healthy living side for if you do not want to diet. :)}
    SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You could grill a pizza with olive oil and eggplant. If you've never grilled pizza, I implore that you try it. It's amazing!
    kelli0585

Answer by kelli0585 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I make a marinara sauce add low fat ricotta ,saute in a tiny bit of evoo peeled ,diced and drained eggplant.mix with angel hair.My favorite other than babaganoush

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• MMMM, eggplant parmesan. You can make it just like chicken parmesan! It's fantastic, and really good for you, especially if you put veggies in the marinara!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Do you like Indian food? If so, you will love this (easier than it looks):
    This is a very simple recipe of eggplant which u can enjoy with bread(toasted)

Ingredients:
    1 large eggplant
    2 medium size onion finely chopped
    2 medium size tomato finely chopped
    4 cloves of garlic
    1" ginger
    (make a paste of ginger and garlic)
    1/2 frozen and defrosted peas
    2 TBL olive oil
    1/2 Tsp cumin
    1 Tsp chili powder (I use 1/4 tsp of cayenne)
    1/4 Tsp turmeric
    1 tsp sugar
    salt to taste
    Finely chopped Coriander(cilantro) leaves for garnishing

Oil the eggplant and roast the eggplant, either in the oven or on the grill. When its room temp. remove the skin and mash it.
    Oil a baking pan and add cumin, turmeric, ginger garlic paste and onion let it brown and add chopped tomatoes, when they are cooked and soft, add smashed eggplan stir. add chili powder or cayenne,sugar and salt.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2010