Putting Baby to Bed

I've been breastfeeding since my son was born. (Well, duh) He started sleeping with me at 2 months when Daddy took an out of town job. Every night I put him in bed with me and give him a boob until he passes out. So my question is, How to I put him to sleep in his crib? Tonight, I let him fall asleep in my bed then when he was out I transferred him to the crib. Is there anything easier? What tricks help you out?!

ChelseaG23

Asked by ChelseaG23 at 2:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The good ol' days! My three kiddos did the same excact thing, except they would stay there and I wouldnt have any room to lay down my self. Now they are 1, 2, and 4 and fall asleep in their own beds with out a problem (usually). We did have to untrain them and that wasnt always easy but now my husband and I have from 9pm on to ourselves. Its awsome! Do their bedtime routine and when you know they are good and tired and full tummys, lay them down in their crib. Yes they will cry and call for you but after some time and a few nights your baby will learn how to self sooth and put herself to sleep without the breast, also introduce a stuffed animal, worked for us
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 2:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My daughter used to do that too only she didn't breastfeed, she just wanted to feel cuddled. So I cuddled her for a bit in my arms on the couch and then when she was ready I'd give her a pacifier and blanket, put her in her bed and she'd be out!

The PP said it best, you have to untrain them. It'll be tough but you can do it. Just don't give in. :-)

Good Luck!
    MommaCassE

Answer by MommaCassE at 3:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would start a bedtime routine. I would give my dd a bath and then lay her in her crib. She didn't do so great the first coupe nights but if you stick with it it'll work. It was literally 2 or 3 nights before she realized this is what happens before bed and just went with it. good luck! also like the other posts said..if they cry just let them cry. I would give it a time limit..like 4 minutes. If they are still crying after 4 minutes go rock them until they are calm then lay them back down.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Will he sleep in his crib during the day? I would just start with that. Once he does well during the day, start putting him in his crib at night.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I always put my kids to sleep in their cribs, awake but almost asleep. They always went to sleep by themselves, except for occasional fussing at 18 months-2 years at bedtime when they would have preferred to stay up and play. My 3 1/2 week old is just starting to get herself to sleep (I've been patting her back/rubbing her tummy while she's in her crib to help her drift off)

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Maybe you can put a rocking chair in his room and feed him there instead of in your bed. Then once he falls asleep nursing gently place him in his crib....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• A lot of people are going to say set up a routine, however every child is different. What worked for me was to take my son to bed with me and once he was asleep Id transfer him to his crib...this took a little bit of time, but once he realized that he was waking up okay in his own bed, I was able to lay him down in his crib and he would go right to sleep...I started when he was about 7 months...by 9 months he stayed in his bed all night
    nikkiliz09

Answer by nikkiliz09 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You do it any way that works. Of course he needs to nurse to fall asleep. I never had "routines" or bed times. My babies would either fall asleeping while I was sitting watching TV or in bed. Then if you want you can put them in their bed. While you are nursing it's easier and better for the baby if you keep the baby in your room. You can smell each others pheromones and will get on similar sleep cycles and you will be in a light sleep when baby wakes to nurse. It makes you feel less disrupted and sleep deprived.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I just went through that about 3 weeks ago! I moved the crib next to my side of the bed. ( you can take rope or something to secure it to your bed if you wanted to) I would do our night time routine, of diaper change, pjs, read a book, eat and then cuddle. While cuddling I would let my ds almost fall asleep then move him to the crib. If he woke up I then would cuddle him a little longer and then try again. After a few nights he got used to being over to the crib, and would fall asleep on his own. Once he is in the crib you can slowly move the crib farther and farther from your bed and into their own room, if you desire. If you want you can message me for more info or just someone to talk to during the transition!
    new_mom_in_2010

Answer by new_mom_in_2010 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• He will sleep in his crib during the day for naps but he seems to do better when something is cuddling him. He's usually in the boppy during the naps because he'll fall asleep on the boob. Thank you everyone for your answers. I'm just gonna have to tough it up and let him cry, and quit being so lazy. I always like the easy way out, but I don't want for my husband to come home and get jealous becuase I'd rather sleep with the baby than him. Hey, the baby doesn't snore!!! =]

Oh! I'm new to the blogging thing so what does
    DD and DS stand for? I figured SO is Significant other...
    ChelseaG23

Comment by ChelseaG23 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Aug. 7, 2010