Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parents that have adopted their stepchild.

How did you go about doing it and was it contested or uncontested. My husband adopted my son but, it was uncontested. And unwed fathers don't really have "parental rights" like mothers do. What did you do for the mother to sign her rights away or to get them revoked. She has not seen the child since May and doesn't call. I am the one who takes cares of him seeing as his dad works.

Answer Question

Asked by matthewscandi at 2:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Adoption

Level 26 (27,814 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Tough one.. Yes, both birth parents have the same rights to the child whether they were/are married or not. In order for a stepparent to adopt a child, 1) the other parent has to give up rights, 2) the o/p has to be no longer living, 3) the o/p is proven by a court of law to be unfit or a threat to that child and the benefits of said adoption should out way the benefits of the parent keeping the rights to their child. Stepparents do not have rights unless they are demed so by a judge. Stepparents are considered LEGAL STRANGERS to a child. So be careful and consult with an attry asap!!!!!! Rights will not be taken away for the o/p just becaus eof no contact. There are many reasons for this. 1) does the o/p have info on the child, i.e. phone #, address, etc? Those things come into play .....

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • She was convicted (felony) of having drugs around a minor (SS) and was sent to jail. She has our address and phone but, doesn't call or write.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • The laws regarding the termination of parental rights vary from state 2 state so I would check in2 them bc ur husbands situation was uncontested which made it easier, but if she isn't willing 2 sign hers over, then it may b something that the courts & judges have b involved in & handle bc it's their responsibility 2 do what's in the best interest 4 the child.

    Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • i adopted my step son, i had raised him since he was 10 months and adopted when he was 5. I had i guess an uncontested because she wasnt anywhere to be found. I had to put an ad in the paper and send a certified letter to her last known address. I got no response so after all the usual home studies and things like that i was able to adopt on grounds of abandonment. I would check those laws in your state about abandonment, usually if there is no contact (letters, phone calls, visits) then you may have an easy case. Consult a local adoption attorney in your area if you cannot find information, i had to do that because virginia doesnt tell you anything.

    Answer by fcangel9 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.