can someone apply for ss or disability because they are bipolar and adhd and cant really work....

do you think they would get denied or what.....

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/
    Anticipating approvals and denials would require a crystal ball. There’s just no way to know. The “Blue Book” is the set of guidelines they use to determine if your condition meets their criteria and it needs to be supported by objective medical evidence.
    idahospaz

Answer by idahospaz at 2:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I also think it depends on how bad the bipolar is. ADHD grownups can lead a productive life so I don't think that will work, but bipolar is different
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My oldest son has been receiving SSI benefits for 4 years for ADHD and Bipolar.  My mother receives disability for bipolar and fibromyalgia. She was denied the first time but appealed and won.

Anonymous

• I have a friend on it for ADHD.
    Anonymous

• Yes... Call an attorney... Around here it's all over tv which ones do it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• You can SSI or Disability for ADHD and Bipolar. But, for us, my son doesn't qualify because they consider him no longer disabled when he wears his prosthetic....
    Anonymous

• I receive full disability benefits and my children also receive a check because I am disabled. I have schizophrenia.

Anonymous

• The answer is YES. You can receive SSI if you have ADHD or ADD. At first you will be denied, just like every other person on the planet. Just keep trying and they will give it to you.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm bipolar and I was eligible for disability...but I was denied. If you honestly think you can work, I wouldn't apply for it though, it's really made for people who cannot work.
    Anonymous

• Depends on how bad it is. I have a ADHD son that has been getting it since he was 13 and he is now 18. It took 3 months to get it, His twin was denied till this year so it can take time. They will now both be on SSI for the rest of their lifes because of adhd and one with bipolar. Is there any chance that your child also has a personality disorder? It makes it easier to get on if they do.
    skywatcher1973

Answer by skywatcher1973 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008