how can i get my daughter to eat more than what she does?

Mrs.RobertBlair

Asked by Mrs.RobertBlair at 7:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't make a big deal out of eating. Just have her sit at the table and don't talk about it. It is probably a phase and she will start eating again as soon as it's not a big deal. That's advice that I've heard in the past anyway. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:19 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've actually heard not to make children eat too much any more, it's actually how some are getting over weight. My Dr. always told me, they'll eat when hungry. Also watch the snacking between meals, and when they do, make them snack healthy ones.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree I have never heard of a young child intentionally starving themselves when food is readily available/accessible!! My older son now 8 1/2 eats like a bird...always has...and at 48 inches tall and 50 pounds, he falls within the 50th percentile for height and weight. The key is making sure the foods they DO eat are nutritious and contain essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

When my son was older, I found that giving him a liquid vitamin (added to his watered down juice) made him hungry! You might want to try that if you're concerned, I use "Liquid Health Children's Multi"...you can find this brand by Googling it and completing a store locator search--usually they can be found at organic food stores and small pharmacy/apothecary type stores.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If she is growing regularly and following her growth curve, then, there is no reason for her to eat more. By steadily gaining and growing, that is the clue that she is eating enough and just right. I she is falling and not gaining...then she may need more food. If she is growing and going way above her natural curve...she may be having a growth spurt or may be over doing it.

You do not want to fill her past full, that is suppressing her natural "full" signal and will cause her to overeat because that will be all she knows and is used to. Which in turn will make her eat a little more with every meal to maintain that too full filling and to fill her now over size stomach.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have the same issue with my 2.5 yo. Honestly, they are going to eat what they want - you can't force them. I make sure that every calorie he eats "counts"; veggies, whole grains, organic dairy, etc. It drives me crazy, but he is growing well. I try to remember that his stomach is the size of his fist, the visual makes me feel a little better :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• you dont... she wont starve herself, she will eat when she is hungry, for the average toddler 2-5 bites is a serving
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You don't. Try to remember their stomachs are still relatively small. Pushing her to eat more when she doesn't want to will only make her heavy. Unless your pediatrician is concerned about a lack of weight gain, there's no reason to even try.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You can't force them to eat if they're not hungry. She will eat when she's hungry. Just let her know that her meal is waiting on her when she's ready for it. If you're really concerned that she's just not eating enough, try pedisure or a daily kids vitamin to make sure she's getting the proper nutrition she needs.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 9:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Watch the snacks, but like the other mommy's said, she'll eat when she is hungry. If she's thriving, then I wouldn't worry, just make sure she is eating healthy food when she does. I have picky eaters too, so they each get a multivitamin at night.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have been told by my mom and the doctors that they will eat until they are full and not to press the issue. Tat even if it doesn't seem to me like they are eating enough that they are. :( It is sucky advice, lol... but it is true. They will eat when they are hungry. Also, I just learned at a nutrition class th eother day att he WIC office that a 1 year old's serving size is only 1 tablespoon, a 2 yr old's is 2 tablespoons, a 3 year old is 1/4 cup, etc. So, depending on what and how much you are feeding her she may be eating the correct amounts.

Good luck and don't stress mommy! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010