Sleep Disruptions

Help! My 10 month old will not sleep. He goes to bed at 7:30 or 8:00 and sleeps until 10:00 and then got up around 12:30 and then back up at 2:30 where I finally gave up and put him in the bed with me because I get up at 5 AM for work. Up until two weeks ago he was sleeping 5 hours straight. He has a routine and eats cereal or yogurt before bed. What can I do? I want him to sleep longer and in his own bed. Suggestions?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 7:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like the normal amount of times for a baby that age to wake. Babies of breastfed mothers will nurse more at night to make up for you being gone. If you are still pumping for bottles while you are gone, you may be able to stop. At about this age my granson could eat solids while my DIL was at work and breastfed several times at night. She sleeps with him and it wasn't a problem. He is 22 mo now and she says he only nurses twice at night now and she hardly wakes, he finds it on his own. She wants to breastfeed at least the 2 years recommended by the World Health Org because he has a lot of allergies.

It's normal for children to wake at night until they are three or older. None of my 3 sons slept through the night until they were over 3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• What do you do when he gets up? Is he allowed to play with toys? Watch TV?

When my kids get up we put them back into bed immediately. When they get up - it's back to bed. You may have a sleepless night or two, but if he only gets put back into his bed and isn't able to play he should start sleeping again.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• He is 10 months so usually when he gets up I nurse him or rock him.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Is he gettting any teeth. Usually that disrupts the sleep.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• He has 9 teeth already. I don't see any new ones....but I gues its possible
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• it could be a growth spurt, or teething. i think it is sooo normal for a baby to wake up that often at night. my son woke up 3-4 times at night until he was 18 months old! i work too so it was extremely hard!!!!!!!!!!! my 3 month old now will only wake up 2x at night so i pray he keeps that up. i know how you are feeling, i really do, but i also think it's normal. there is a book called the no cry sleep solution but it takes a lot of work and i just decided to wait it out so didn't really work on the tips in that book, but you might find that it's worth a try! good luck.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My baby is 8 months and I'm dealing with night waking as well. He used to sleep at least 8 hours straight, wake up and have a bottle, then go back to sleep for several more hours for a total of 12 hours a night. Last night he went to bed at 9 PM, was up at midnight, then again at 4 AM. DH had a hard time getting him to go back to sleep at 4 AM. I fed him at midnight which seemed to help him go back to sleep. He is teething some but it doesn't seem to bother him that much. Has he reached a new milestone lately? Sometimes reaching a developmental milestone can result in night waking. It also could be a growth spurt. I remember it does pass though. My older son went through the same thing.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 12:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son is only 9 months old, so when he wakes up he usually just wants to nurse or cuddle and go back to sleep. It's nothing unusual for him...he's only slept through the night once so far and I have no idea how that happened! lol
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010