wont give up the bottle at night...help

my almost 3 year old son,is having a hard time letting the bottle go at night,hes already potty trained,self feeds,very independent and is in a toddler bed,but at night he screams and cries for the bottle,i have tried everything from talking/explanning to him i have tried rewards bribes,nothing has worked i even once tried letting him self sooth after wailing for an hour,refuses the sippy cup,what else can i do im worried hes rotting his teeth plus hes falling behind any ideas?

tzingillusion21

Asked by tzingillusion21 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you can gather them all up and take them to the store to buy a new toy. Have him use the bottles as payment ;) you slipping her cash of course. When he asks for it tonight remind him what he traded for. good luck
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• How is he rotting teeth? By drinking a warm solution before going to bed? What is it really you give him in his bottle before bed? If it's warm milk I think it's ok. I don't think you should force him out his comfort zone he's still a child. But if you really want him to stop I can't say anything really about it cuz he's your child and not miine. So...why not give him the bottle and in it you'd put his least favorite thing in it every night till he gives it up?
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 3:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• just to let you know myblessin not to be rude but when you give a child milk at night or anything but water in the bottle it sits on his teeth and rots them it is very bad for there teeth and any doc or dentist will tell you that.
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• my neighbor had the same problem. Im not sure what your life at home is like and im not making any assumptions but this childs was very bad, always bouncing around and just constant drama. His doc said he will let it go when he is ready, if there are any inconsistancies at home he will go towards needing his bottle because it has always been there. If not i would talk to your doc about better weaning him off because it is really bad for his teeth.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• well my son is your average toddler,hes active but well behaved except for this whole bottle thing,some nights my husband will tell him hes getting his bottle to just lie down,next thing we know hes asleep...but he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming 'milk'...its not that were bad parents we just figure milk does a body good and well not till this year weren't to worried about it but now that hes 3 its time,the pacifier/crib/diapers all went away time for the bottle too.
    tzingillusion21

Answer by tzingillusion21 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2008