MY SON IS 8 YEARS OLD, JUST LEFT MY HOME TO STAY WITH HIS DAD AND NEW FIANCE FOR A WEEK I MISS HIM ALREADY :(

MY EX HUSBAND DATED THIS WOMAN FOR 2 YEARS AND HAS FINALLY DECIDED TO BEGIN A NEW LIFE WITH HER AND HER ONLY DAUGHTER. HE HAS 6 KIDS AND AFTER HIS REGULAR TIME(ONCE A WEEK) SPENT WITH HIS KIDS HE DECIDES TO TAKE A COUPLE OF MY KIDS TO SPEND A WEEK WITH HIM AND HIS NEW FIANCEE.. IM GRATEFUL THAT HES FINALLY DOING THIS AFTER 6 YEARS OF JUST ON AND OFF VISITS BUT IM SO SAD INSIDE BECAUSE MY SON THE 8 YEAR OLD IS NOT HERE I MISS HIM SO MUCH IM CRYING AND HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS NEW CHANGE ?

fairybrokenwing

Asked by fairybrokenwing at 7:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, it sounds like you need to take care of YOURSELF for a change!! Now's the perfect opportunity to get done the things you put off or don't typically have time for with your son around--including sleeping in, sitting back with a big cup of coffee and the newspaper or good book, or going for long walks!!! Granted, my children don't go away overnight anywhere, but I DO relish the time they are at day camp (just put them on the bus a few minutes ago!) to deep clean, paint, and tidy up around the house. I schedule my doctor's appointments and exams for those times when I don;t have to worry about taking them with me or having someone watch them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• LoriKeet has good advice. The missing him won't go away, but you can keep busy doing things you wouldn't ordinarily be able to do when he is there.

Answer by Bmat at 7:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know how you feel, my 7 year old is spending 2 weeks with his grandparents in FL, (we live in nc). He is about halfway through his visit, and I can hardly wait to go get him. I miss hm like crazy, and I still have 2 little ones at home! LOL
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know exactly what you mean....Of course it is so great for the kids to have the best possible relationship with Dad, and to spend time with him, but that is a long time for the young ones to be away from Mom! When my son went away for a week last year for the first time, it was very hard for me and he was 11. This year, it felt much less upsetting....I guess I got used to the idea. I did also try to plan to get out and do some things that I wouldn't ordinarily be able to do and that helped. When there wasn't enough of that to keep my busy, I painted my bedroom! Keeping busy helps....and also just letting yourself get used to it!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Don't be sad. You're only sad because of your own attachment to having him around. Many times as parents. we're going to learn how to let them go. This is the hard part of parenting, but a very important part. Try to enjoy some "ME" time. Make the best out of him not being there. Your son probably would not want you to be sad that he is gone. Be glad that he is bonding with his father & do something special for yourself while you have the time.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well, a week is not long at all. It sounds like you need some time away from your child. A little distance never hurt and you WILL be fine. He will be fine. It just sucks because you're so used to him being around. If you act sad or depressed before he goes, it might make your son feel guilty - even though he can't help it.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Call him on the phone once a day or do a live chat on Skype once a day. It's only seven days. You can do it.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010