Nail Polish Remover on my Table Top!

My DD10 did her nails at my kitchen table, nail polish remover seeped through the towel and onto the table top. It's brand new; hand rubbed cherry. It looks like some of the finish has pulled up - it's rough in spots. It's also discolored (paler).

Is there any way to fix this without getting the whole top refinished? I'm just sick about it.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It will require a complete refinish. Acetone in nail polish remover is a solvent and it just basically melted the finish - that's why it is no longer smooth. I think everyone of us has that story in out past somewhere! Been there, done that to an antique dresser when I was a teen....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• not really... i did this as a child .. my parents had to sand it down and refinish it :(
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Honestly, if you don't want it to look like a spotty repair, then the whole table top should be done. It is extrememly difficult to refinish just spots on fine furniture like that because of stain and varnish matches. Check to see if you might have a furniture repair place in your area. They might come out to look at it for you.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I did that to my mom's dresser once. My dad was pissed. Mom didn't care because she hates the dresser. Sorry, that totally sucks. You can try googling it to see if there is an easier fix before going and having it re-finished.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• hopefully the top is all smooth and one flat peice
    sounds like you can spot touch up-which you will probably not be happy with
    or have whole top redone
    sorry
    call around maybe some retired or out of work handyman can do for less than you thought
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was really hoping ya'll would tell me it would be ok :( I knew it wasn't.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2010