Would you be upset of your bright son decided to join the millitary instead of go to college?

I wouldn't mind if it was a millitary college, but joining the millitary and putting off college would upset me. I can understand if your child didn't do well in school or you had a lot of trouble with him, than the millitary would be good for him because he could use the dicipline.

prettybaby1

Asked by prettybaby1 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Nope
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Are you trying to say that only dummies should join the military. You are sadly misinformed if you think that all it takes. My husband scored very high on his ASFAB and is very smart and chose the military. Now, he doesn't have to pay for college. I will be encouraging the military for my children and then college. But, the decision is theirs. NTM, the military has much better benefits than any civilian job.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be upset, but scared for him. However, I would support him. I don't agree with your statement about military only being good for a child who isn't that good in school.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Not at all. My hubby has a high IQ and was in college when we met, also in the national guard. He wanted to fly though. So I supported him in quiting school and going that route. It took him a year or tests, meeting, interviews and such to be transferred out of his orifinal unit to an aviation unit and be sent to flight school. He also became an officer while there at Warrent Officer School. In my opinion he is better suited for military life, he is attempting to go active duty now that he is back to NG and flying odd schedules through the month. Just because you are military doesn't mean you can't achieve greater things. And to be honest, my hubby finished his undergrad degree wile at flight school. Because he had to take courses for flight school as well as officer candidate school. My point with that is, he can still earn a degree while a soldier, and should because he can fast track and more marketable.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• NOPE!! Military often has on the job training and classes, etc. My husband was able to walk out of the military, with no college, and land a very good paying job that supported us. Then he went to school in the evening that was 100% payed for by the military and got a degree and has since doubled his income. Our home loan is even a VA loan, this means we were able to buy our home with NO money down and NOT have to pay for the P and I insurance that homeowners normally have to pay when they don't have 20% down. We qualified for a VA loan because of my husbands years in the military. If he did not go, how would college be paid for? (Just curious)
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Not at all. The military gives you money for college, and also allows young men and women to experience things they wouldn't have normally. I think that going into the military is a good stepping stone toward college; I know too many people that partied their way through college and took easy majors only to find themselves without a job at graduation. Our military needs bright people!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh and degrees are so over inflated these days. This is because everyone has them! Company want more then just a degree they want job experience too. My husband came home from the military and landed a well paying job. His friend came home from college with a degree and had to settle with telemarketing, making phone calls, that payed just above min. wage. A job that does NOT require a degree, because no one wanted him. The friend is stuck paying student loans on a degree that really is worthless. He's not the only one, it's becoming more and more true. Kids are coming home with degrees and sitting on Mommy's couch playing Xbox, because they just can't land a job, because the degrees in away have become over inflated and not worth as much. We are forgetting about the trades, mechanic, plumber, etc. Trades can make good money too!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No way would I be upset, I would support anything like that. My son's Daddy was 20 years (just retired) in the Navy. HOORAH!
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• So he wants to go into the military instead of going to college? If that's his choice, you have to respect it. He's an adult.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with all of the posts already. I would support them either way, but I feel the military can actually help them figure out what exactly they want to study in college. I myself must have changed my major 5 times, costing me more in the long run. The benefits of not having to pay for college is great also. The military has many benefits. I know I'd be scared with the war and all, but imajine if everyone was against it, we wouldn't have any military would we. I hope all of the posts help you with your son's choice. Good luck
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010