Is it bad...

If you smoke weed while you're breast feeding, does it get into your milk or will your body filter it out? No, I've never done this! I was talking with some people & they brought it up & we had a little bit of a disagreement about it. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont know if it gos into the milk but IMO i dont do anything while breastfeeding better safe than sorry not even a sip of wine for me!! but to each there own....i would google it and see if you wana know good luck
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It gets into the breastmilk and does get passed to the baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My thing is why would someone risk it. Honestly it's dumb to smoke weed to begin with, but while breastfeeding and with a baby.
    Momofboys22

Answer by Momofboys22 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Anything you ingest - eat, drink or smoke - goes into your breast milk.

LovePeaceHope

Answer by LovePeaceHope at 9:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Here's a different observation, the second hand smoke from your weed (joint) is being inhaled by your baby since the smoke is in the air.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes it is bad... first of all a parent should not being using drugs while trying to care for a child...regardless. ANyway...the chemicals in the drug do enter the milk and get passed onto baby. Family services can be called and child taken away because child will test positive for an illegal substance
    nikkiliz09

Answer by nikkiliz09 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Why would it not. Everything else dose.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 10:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It is especially bad. You can take almost all meds and some recreational drugs while breastfeeding. What's bad about weed is that it is stored in the fat in your body and your baby keeps getting the drug for days or weeks. It's better to drink, alcohlol leaves your system quickly. When you drink there is not need to "pump and dump" since it's not stored.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've actually researched this and what I found is that the amount of THC that is actually passed into the breastmilk is so minimal that it has no effect on the baby whatsoever. But with that said, there is not a lot of research out there on this subject (for obvious reasons), so no one knows for sure. There really is no 100% right or wrong answer to your question! But personally, I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes its bad because anything that gets into your body gets into your breastmilk. Its not a good choice to smoke weed and breastfeed.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 10:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2010