Breastfeeding til 12 months and TTC

So SO and I have decided to start TTC for baby number 2. Our official TTC start date is around mid august. That said my son is a breastfed baby and is 10 months old. I wanted to bf him until a year so I wouldn't have to supplement formula. People around me said I should wait until a year then wean him before TTC. What do you think? If I got preggo right away he would be about 10.5 months. Could I bf him until a year still? Is it possible or am I like people are telling me slighting and depriving my child if I TTC. He is my world and I want what is best for him too.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I honestly don't see why it would be a problem for you to continue to bf while TTC. Unless there is something I don't know about bf0ng your son for 12months is great! good for you for going this long and wanting to continue further. I hope I'm not just being ignorant but I don't see there being harm being done to your 10 month old or a baby that would be conceived if you continue to bf while TTC and if you do conceive.

I hope things work out!
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was still breastfeeding my daughter everyday multiple times a day while I was pregnant with my twins. If I felt that any of them were in jeopardy I would have stopped. Its is possible to give your child breastmilk while trying to conceive whose to say that you'd be pregnant before he was a year old.....not saying that you can't be either.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 1:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Have you had your period return? I wanted to start trying before DD was a year old but AF didn't return til after she turned 1 and that was because I had cut down the breastfeedin quite a bit. If you're getting your period and ovulating then I'd say go ahead and try. Now I have heard that you shouldn't breastfeed too long into a pregnancy because like after you have your baby you have contractions and it can put you into preterm labor. That's just what I heard though. I've been trying for 4 months and DD just stopped breastfeeding at 15 months old. Good luck!
    BethRae

Answer by BethRae at 10:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know plenty of women who breastfeed throughout thier entire pregnancy and tandem feed later!
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have a mirena IUD in and have not had a period on that. We are getitng it taken out and will TTC right away. I guess I will see then if I am even ovulating. My son only feeds about 4 times a day with me and I pump 3 times for daycare. He eats a lot of solids...so we shall see..thanks!
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• as long as you are ovulating and having a period you could continue to bf while ttc....gl
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 3:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It is absolutely okay to continue to BF and TTC. I am a 100% supporter of breast feeding and self weaning. I have many friends who are tandum nursing which means that they got pregnant while nursing, nursed during their pregnancy and are now nursing both babies Together.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• They are probably telling you to wait because when a woman gets pregnant doctors advise her to stop breastfeeding the older child. So if you want to wean your son at 12 months, you might want to wait to conceive until he's at least 12 months old.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010