Are we wearing the term slam out? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

The term "racist". Accusing others of being racist inappropriately, and for so damn long now and so often...is the term no longer effective? Is it dismissed as soon as it is uttered because it is used so often for reasons other than what it should be used for? Overuse of the term has caused it be no longer effective or relevant...it is now ignored-Is the irrelevance of the term today a good thing? Or a bad thing?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It has been way overused since Obama started campaigning. I could care less if I am called a racist now. Never had been before, but now it is the only thing libs can do to try to discredit your political stance because they have no argument otherwise. Well unless they lie like a few do.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Calling someone "racist" has become as cavalier as telling someone to "go to Hell!" It has virtually lost all of it's "umpf" or impact! Those who throw the word around are no longer taken seriously!!

The MAJORITY of racist claims is/are frequently assigned to those who don’t like illegal immigration, those who think the government should stay out of your health care, those who support or attended a TEA Party or Patriot Group meeting, or those who dare verbalize dissent with a Democrat, liberal or progressive, it's has become a word that is simply dismissed as quickly as it is uttered....kind of like the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf!!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You are right, it doesn't mean anything anymore. When I hear the racist moniker I just roll my eyes.
    It's really not a good thing because it is a problem and even a worse problem now that we have a black President.
    Now it's reverse racism we need to worry about.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You know sweets, you'd make a great politician--working while hanging out on CafeMom is an amazing skill--you must be one of those "essential employees" in your company!! LOL You have obviously studied the "Bill Clinton Rules of Semantics and Double Speak!" You know how to word your responses vaguely enough so as to try and discredit the person who disagrees with you. But, unfortunately for you we are ALL able to read between the lines of your posts!! In other words, you're not that clever!! LOL :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• People who use it constantly no longer have credibility at all.

Like the word "bigot".

It used to mean something, but now it just screams, "I'm ignorant" when used by comatose libs.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes Anon...because being called a "lib" ranks right on up there with being called a Racist and a Bigot. Sure. I think so. I Think there are MANY MANY MANY people on THIS SITE that use those terms to classify anyone who doesnt agree with them on an issue. I also o NOT think they are terms that should be hurled lightly and should get responses deleted....especially bigot. Thats a NASTY term to call someone and you should be DAMN SURE of it before you use it. Something you can NOT be from just a few responses on a CM.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No.

Liberalism is a political ideology.

Did you not know that?

Hm.......

I guess being "promoted" to posting anonymously just means you're here a lot, and not necessarily very smart ;)
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I want to say this--it is not RACE BAITING to call people out for saying something you consider to be racist--or bigoted. It is my right and others' rights, to point out where someone is being narrowminded...if you don't like it, by all means, disagree. But my opinion is as valid as anyone else's, and with all the crap I see posted on CM making stupid, uneducated generalizations and mean, small comments and jokes, you would think people could see that.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Meh. If the shoe fits. What I think is getting REALLY worn out is the trend this country is taking towards division. Suddenly you are not allowed to point out people's racism or bigotry because that makes YOU a bigot. It's considered OK to blame people for speaking up about injustice. People just straight up DENY that racism exists...because, after all, the Prez is black, right? All you have to do is listen to the anti-immigrant rhetoric, full of lies, the anti-Islam crap, the anti-Jewish crap, all that.

Really, I don't think it has as much to do with having a mixed race president, I think a lot more of it has to do with more and more people struggling and fighting over the few jobs and resources available. Whenever things get tough, people want to blame someone. Unfortunately, some idiots can only think to blame people that look different than them.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Kind of like you all are wearing out the term "libs"?

libs is just shortened for liberal. Just as reps is shortened for reupblican, dems is shortened for democrats a and con is shortened for conservative. Not a difficult concept and not the same as the term racist.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010