I am 12 weeks pregnant, should my hair be falling out in large clumps?

With my other two babies, my hair fell out a couple of weeks after delivery, I know that is normal b/c its caused by hormones changing so quickly.

But why now? Its noticeably different than it was a month or two ago. I get out of the shower and have huge hairballs just hanging off my hair!

Should I be worried?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• In large clumbs isn't normal for any pregnancy. It falls out in strands here and there throughout the day, but definately not in huge or even medium clumbs. It sounds like you are either Anemic or lack other nutrician. Talk to your OB.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes I would call the doc... the only time my hair fell out in clumps was during the planning of my wedding, i was really stressed. If stress might be the cause, treat yourself to some relaxation!! Otherwise during my last pregnancy my hair got thicker. I still have lots of shorter "baby hairs" growing all throughout my head.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Do you have a thyroid condition? My hair falls out more than the norm because I'm pregnant and I also have a thyroid disorder. It sucks.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That doesn't sound normal to me. Have you had a lot of morning sickness? Is it possible that you are anemic?
    MrsWilmot

Answer by MrsWilmot at 10:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Id be asking your Dr if this is normal. Dosnt sound normal to me at all. Not in clumps anyways.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I do know that hormones can take a huge toll on your body, but I doubt thats why your hair is falling out. It sounds to me like your body is lacking some precious vitamins and minerals. I would perhaps, talk to your doctor about it. There are supplements that your doctor can give you to help with these sorts of issues.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had alot of hair that fell out sometime during and after pregnancy. It is because baby takes alot of the mothers nutrients and you would need to increase your intake of certain vitamins and minerals responsible for your hair,skin and nails.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 10:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010