child swearing. adult content

my 2yr old has picked up some swear words from various people, probably myself included. The only one that seems to have stuck is Dammit. She says it a lot and I've tried to put her in time out and tell her no and I've also tried to ignore her and not give a reaction to it. I catch myself if I do start to swear, which I dont that often. I dont know what else to do!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she says damn it,say "yeah,DARN it!" Counter her swears with words she CAN say.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She's probably using it because she sees that she gets a reaction. Keep ignoring it and it will go away. At that age, it's difficult to explain that it's a vulger word to use.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's hard to explain to a child that young WHY swearing is bad. Tell her those are "yucky" or "ugly" words & that pretty/nice people don't say them. Children do as they see, not as they're told. So, if you really want her to stop, then make sure she is not around people with dirty mouths.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree. Teach her an alternative word to say and try to use that word yourself when you find yourself in need of using a curse word. She's only mimicing you, so the best way to get her to change is to change what you say.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The word damn is used everywhere- not just from you and many kids don't even realize that it's an inappropriate word. I work in a school and the kids use it all the time. I have to explain that it's not a word that we use and than give them examples of other words that are appropriate.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• shes doing it to get a reaction out of you i would just say darn-it
    kcook55

Answer by kcook55 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Stay calm and don't make too big a deal of it. If she gets a reaction, she will likely want to do it more! Just calmly correct her and tell her it's okay to say "darn-it" or some other substitute. When DS was younger he would say "Oh pickles!" (from Higglytown Heroes). It can be fun choosing silly words and phrases to use instead of the 'forbidden' ones! =)
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That's my niece lol. But she says worse things, like the F word and Bitch. What my sister is trying to do is not let her be around my sisters when they fight lol, which is basically everyday and those are their words of choice. My sister does swear as well but she will catch herself and just say Aww man instead of aww shit of whatever it might be.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2010