Why does my 15 month old wake up in the middle of the night?

The past week, my 15 month old has been waking in the middle of the night and refuses to fall back asleep. He is up for at least 3 hours. He has always been an excellent sleeper. What can I do to get him back to sleep and stop him from waking up?

CrossesMom

Asked by CrossesMom at 9:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he nap? Perhaps shorten the nap or have him take it eariler. Toddlers reach many milestones and with each one a change in sleep pattern comes with it...google it. I don't know why off the top of my head, but it held true for my children. They learned to walk...sleep changed, they cut teeth, sleep change, they started talking, sleep change...frustrating, but it will level off.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Children get into the habit of waking up. It can start with a storm awakening them or with teething pain. I think the best way to handle it is to call to them and tell them it isn't time to get up yet and they need to go back to sleep. That way he will know you are there, but there will be no other interaction between you and him. If you go into his room, that reinforces his waking pattern.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son still wakes up sometimes in the middle of the night because he is thirsty. He is 25 months.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• if he naps during the day, try and shorten them, and watch what time he naps,..if he's napping too late, that can be a factor..umm, try giving him warm milk (we had to do this with my sd when she was here,..hot chocolate with milk), before bed..it helps them sleep better. other than that, the only thing i could think of is that it's a phase, and he'll grow out of it eventually. good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Could he be teething? That can really mess up their sleep patterns.
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 11:02 AM on Aug. 3, 2010