Any suggestions on how to take away the pacifier from my 4 year old? He only uses it at night but he is really attached!

hhdoran

Asked by hhdoran at 9:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• cold turkey-throw it away and let him fuss. He'll get over it eventually

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yeah you really have to do it cold turkey by now. The older they get the more attatched they get.
    Momofboys22

Answer by Momofboys22 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Of course he's really attached, he's 4 with a binki!! Tell him that now that he is a big boy its time to 'donate' his binkis to a baby that needs them and then throw them away when he isnt looking. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• cold turkey he will eventually get over it
    cjsmom375

Answer by cjsmom375 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Maybe take him to the store and let him pick out a really cool toy and trade it for the pacifier.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You must prepare him for it, mark a calendar and tell him that is the time the pacifier fairy or something like that needs to pick it up to give it too someone else, be sure you don't have to go anywhere for at least two days. Then that day take it away and reward him in the morning with something, like a new cup, bowl or straw anything...

It will be very tough, very tough, and you might not sleep well for a few days but you have to go through with it. Don't just take it away, make a calendar and say on this day we need to get rid of the pacifier... Good luck!!! You can do it MOMMMY!!!! Go MOMMMY!!! LOL
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Fire the warning shot, talk about a few days before hand so that he knows it's coming. Then take it away when he's not looking. It will be hard but he will adjust.

With my son, every time he outgrows something, whether it's clothes, shoes, cribs, potty seat, car seats etc I tell him that a man who lives down the street came to pick it up to give to his baby because his baby needs it and my son is too big for it now. It works every time!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My twins were younger when we took their pacifiers, so I don't if our method would work for a 4 year old. What we did was we kept them out past their bedtime one night so when we brought them home they went right to bed minus their pacifiers. They were so tired they just went to sleep. I got rid of all the pacifiers that night so there wouldn't be any reminders around the next day. We had used the same basic technique for getting rid of their bedtime bottle, and that went pretty smoothly too. Good luck!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:02 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would take it cold turkey. He'll be fine.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 10:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't know if this will work, but what I did was cut off the tips and leave them on the floor, don't cut it exact, but just a little bit so it doesn't look like it's been cut..then let him find them and say, oh no...they fell apart and tell him to throw it away and prepare for a few nights of extra attention, make sure he has a nighttime friend to help with the transition. Mine were younger, but it may still work...Good luck....
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010