which would you do?

We'll be looking into a house soon, so we're thinking of where to live. I have a few ideas but in a predicument. we need a big house, at least a 3bdrm 1 1/2 bath.

There is this neighborhood that is NICE, my husband grew up in it, looking at the sex offenders website, there are NONE in that neighborhood, which has me wanting it. BUT, the houses are small, and my in laws live there...too close if you ask me lol.

We could look in different neighborhoods, but there are sex offenders all over the place, i know there will be everywhere i go, except this neighborhood!

so which would you do? live in the neighborhood with no sex offenders but small houses and near inlaws, or find a bigger house with who knows how many offenders?

(my FIL said once they had a sex offender there but at the time the neighborhood was real tight and they "took care of it", he ended up leaving lol)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• How small are the houses and why do you need a 3 bedroom house? Is there a chance that you could live with a 2 bedroom house?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Peace of mind would be foremost on my mind and not live with all that uncertainty. I would keep looking and not settle if you really are that uncertain at this point.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just my opinion, just because they aren't on the list doesn't mean they aren't there! And that's only the ones that have been caught! I don't think that would have any pull on my decision on where to live. The house and the neighborhood and the schools would be deciding factors for me.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd look into the schools in that neighborhood unless you plan to homeschool. You will feel much better with your children in a good school. If you live near a school it's even better since offenders are not supposed to be anywhere near there. I'd then look into the safety aspect. I assume you will be doing what is necessary to keep your child safe. They won't be running the streets right? Though we have heard of it happening, having a sex offender steal your child out of their bed is extremely rare. Make sure you are looking at the offenders offense. Many are not offenses against children. It could a family member making a pass at another family member, a young adult with a under age girl friend or someone with a single offense. Just saying many people labeled sex offender are not out there seeking kids.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Sorry to break this to you, but sex offenders can be anywhere...just because they are not registered in a certain area does not mean that they are not there or not around there. You don't have to live with your in-laws....so I would go with the bigger house in a nice area...which probably means good schools...the FIRST thing I consider when moving with my kids.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• In my opinion- sex offenders (at least in my area) are very closely watched. There is one that lives two streets over from us. We don't ever see or hear anything about him. Also keep in mind- just because there is a registered sex offender doesn't necessarily mean that they will commit the crime again. I am not scared that there is one who lives in our neighborhood. It's a very nice, quiet neighborhood. If you really don't want to live near your inlaws (there's no way in hell I'd move near mine), you'll just have to do your research. Sex offenders are registered for life I believe- so it could be that they have only committed one crime, and it was a long time ago. There are ways of finding those things out. If there are multiple offense sex offenders in the area, then no, I probably wouldn't move there.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with "Cindy18" not all of them make it to the list.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with Cindy18 as well...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would go by which area has the best schools. See if you can look into the high schools and judge it by SAT scores and how many kids go on to 4 year colleges. Sex offenders are every where.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would keep looking until I found the house AND the neighborhood I wanted. If you don't, you may not be happy in the end. Don't settle for good enough..wait until you've found what you have been looking for.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2010