will castrol oil work

luckymoni08

Asked by luckymoni08 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• oh no! not castrol oil that is car oil! i've heard to stay away from castor oil it can be harmful try mineral oil and read my posts to the ' 5 days overdue' and the '13 hours' about stimul;ating your contr's
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i tried it but its really really hard to get down!! i got a little down and my water broke the next day but i dont think it was the oil that did it
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Castor oil will not bring on or stimulate labor. It will simply make you miserable while you're walking around full of baby.
    peachqpti

Answer by peachqpti at 3:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Ohhh I took castor oil, I was in the hospital 5 hours later.

Not sure if that was it or the 8 and a half hour day that i worked, maybe the combo.

I wouldn't reccommend it, because I did nothing but poop for hours, I was miserable. =/

I did however have a baby boy 17 hours after taking it!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My sister took it with her first and was in labor 4 hours later, but she did poop up a storm. She tried it again with the second and it didnt work. , it just made her poop. Her Dr. said it only makes you go into labor if the baby is ready anyways......but if you want to make sure your system is TOTALLY cleaned out before the baby comes the DR. said go ahead
    Anonymous

• dont take it,harmful for the baby ,very dumb thing to do but if your willing to accept the fact that something could go wrong then its up to you,but why do people try to speed it up i know your anxious and all but your baby will come when he/she is good and ready
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 7:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• it is not harmful to the baby, the oil was given to me cause i wanted a natural labor, and my water had broken but no contractions, so my midwife mixed the oil with gatorade, and like about 2 hour the contractions was kicking in.......
    It makes your stomach cramp up, there for contraction start........
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Okay, on Castor Oil; I would take it if I was in labor and advised by my midwife. I did an enema instead, once I knew I was in full blown labor. Yes, it's gross and different from taking something by mouth. But the effects were much more short lived than something that has to go through your whole system to work. And faster. Not to mention once it's time to push, it keeps things more neat and tidy.
    peachqpti

Answer by peachqpti at 9:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• its an old wives tale but it is said by alot of drs ioncluding mine that it can cause your baby to have a bM which then they "breathe" it in and its liek tar on there lungs ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 2:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I don't know about how it effects anyone else, but let me be the one to tell you....
    YES! Castor Oil does exactly what is supose to do... it makes you poop!!!!!!!!!
    It is said to put a woman into labor because it is a stimulant that makes your muscles contract. However it does not cause your uterus muscles to contract. I did it! I was about 36 weeks and so ready to have my 2nd baby. I drank a full bottle of the stuff, it really doesn't taste that bad just very oily!, I was up all night with cramping and pooing. The next day I did have about an hours worth of contractions due to irritation and inflamation but they went away as soon as I got to the hospital. I was induced 2 weeks later...
    Anonymous